Would this over stock a tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by RKennedy923, Jul 23, 2015.

1. R

RKennedy923 New Member Member

Keep in Mind no fish are in the tank yet, just wondering. Would this fish combo work in a 20 gallon high tank.

12 neon tetras
    1 dwarf gourami
    6 Cories

can I get anything else in here?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

i think its a little overstocked. i would only do the cories or the hatchetfish. maybe not both. and then get another dwarf gourami instead. lets see what else people think, though.

3. OP
    OP
    R

Maybe I could sub out the hatchetfish for 1-2 more dwarf gouramis. Do hatchetfish actually have to school?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Gouramis stay middle to top so they could work instead of the hatchetfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    R

So let's say I sub the hatchetfish for a few more dwarf gouramis, how many more could I get? Is there something that can table the hatchetfish's spot up there that is already not on the list? Thanks in advance.

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd say that stocking is fine, you could add another gourami but make sure they're male & female or two females as two males would argue over territory

7. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I agree with Coradee. There is a risk adding too many gourami's to a tank. Most of the time, you will see males in the pet store tanks. The reasoning is that males tend to have brighter colors which is what the customers want.

I personally like your original stocking plan.

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you decide not to do the hatchetfish, you could do a larger school of neons. That would look really pretty.

9. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't get anymore than 1 dwarf gourami. Most fish stores only carry males as the females are not as pretty. If you go to the LFS and get 2 or 3 dwarf gourami's then your chances of getting more than 1 male is very high. If you can find a female or two to go with your male then that is an option but don't plan on that until you check to see if you can even get a female. They may be able to order you one though.

I agree with TexasDomer. Get rid of the hatchets and expand your school of neons or other tetra to 8 or maybe 10 depending on the type of tetra/schooling fish you go with.

I will say that your original stock I think would be fine. It seems a bit overstocked to me but not greatly and I would think if you keep up with your water changes you would be fine.

10. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I personally would go with:

1 male Gourami, centerpiece fish
    6 cories
    12 neons.

I like the looks of one big school rather than two smaller ones.

11. OP
    OP
    R

New update at the top, what do you think here? I would really like to get at least a few of one more species in here, not sure if it's possible.

12. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That looks like a good stocking plan. If you really wanted to add something else, you could do a few male guppies?

13. Dom90

I think that would make the tank overstocked with the guppies.

14. OP
    OP
    R

Does anybody else think it would be overstocked if I added two male guppies. What about adding a few tetras instead if guppies, would that make it overstocked?

when I say tetras or I mean something like bleeding heart tetras or white skirt tetras.

15. tyguy7760

It's close. You might be able to get a guppy or two in there. You could always cut back the school of neons some. Definitely not platy's. Make sure to do all male. If you get multiple male guppies keep a close eye on them. If your tank is overstocked, your guppies will start to fight and kill each other. If they are comfortable, then they will get a long fine

I have 3 male guppies in my 36g bowfront and they hang out all the time. Some arguing but no damage. I would suspect those same 3 male guppies in an overstocked tank may rip each other to shreds.

I think you are pretty stocked. Tetras will take up less room and less bioload than the guppies so you are more likely to add more tetras than guppies.

Plus you always run the risk of getting a slightly more aggressive than normal dwarf gourami and him not liking the guppies. Guppy tails resemble food to many fish and since they will occupy the same space, he may not like them. A normal DG should be fine but DG's are like betta's. It all depends on that individual fish.

You could try something like this

1 Dwarf Gourami
    8 Neon Tetras
    6 Cory Cats
    2 Male Guppies (Just keep an eye on them at first and make sure they get along.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  16. OP
    OP
    R

So what about this stocking idea

8 neon tetras
    1 dwarf gourami
    6 cories
    how many tetras here

17. tyguy7760

Assuming you meant guppies, I'd go with 2 males.

18. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Tetras are schooling fish so you need 6+ of each species - your tank IMO is too small for another school of tetra.

19. Dom90

Agreed, I would either up the number of neons or the cories.

20. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't up the cories since it's only a 20H and I don't really think there's enough ground space for more than six. That's just IMO though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice