Would this be stressful for fry or Betta?

Ghelfaire

Someone is giving away guppy fry. I want guppies but the tank I have for them is currently cycling.
Would I be able to put them in a breeder box in my 20g which has a semi-aggressive male betta? (The betta is in the tank the fry will be in the box)
Will this stress either the fry or the betta out?
They'll have moss in there with them.

Hail5384

Someone is giving away guppy fry. I want guppies but the tank I have for them is currently cycling.
Would I be able to put them in a breeder box in my 20g which has a semi-aggressive male betta? (The betta is in the tank the fry will be in the box)
Will this stress either the fry or the betta out?
They'll have moss in there with them.
Unfortunately bettas tend to obsess over things, but its only temporary too so even if he’s upset for a couple days (how long has the tank been cycling? ) I doubt he’d do anything self destructive. But if the breeder net is a new thing he’s never seen he will be curious most likely, so you could even start putting the breeder net in there now so he gets used to it and hopefully won’t harass the fry. Do you happen to have a divider? That could ensure your fry won’t get harassed since he wouldn’t be able to go all the way up to the breeder net. One time I even had one betta jump into the breeder net and eat my platy fry (was a harem in a community tank). Has the betta been around other fish before you said he’s only semi aggressive?

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

It just started cycling.

No divider unfortunately. I haven't seen any jumping behavior from him but my female in the 10g has so I can't use that tank... she is 100% a hunter and will kill anything edible.

I say he's semi aggressive because there's a no grow platy in with him that he occasionally flares at but that's it.

Upvote 0

Hail5384

It just started cycling.

No divider unfortunately. I haven't seen any jumping behavior from him but my female in the 10g has so I can't use that tank... she is 100% a hunter and will kill anything edible.

I say he's semi aggressive because there's a no grow platy in with him that he occasionally flares at but that's it.
Is there any way you could ask the person to hold onto the fry for another week, so you can get him used to the breeder net? Yeah females tend to be much quicker. My girls were like little water panthers and were very agile when catching platy fry yeah not many survived my tank when I had them in there unless I caught the fry first. I would try and introduce him to the net now so that he already knows it’s there so hopefully he will be less curious to it when you add fry. He will probably try and get the fry through the net regardless, but if you have moss in there with them hopefully the fry won’t get freaked out. I mean they come out wanting to hide in order to survive. If he gets very aggressive and obsessive over the net maybe rearranging his tank will make him stop. They are very territorial so if you move his tank around then it’s no longer his territory.

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

I can ask. She's the second person to post an ad so maybe I'll get lucky and someone else will also be giving guppies away after the tank is fully cycled.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
20 Gallon Tank Am I stressing my betta?
Replies
Views
darkcat
  • Question
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies