Would this be safe?

Gouramiguy17

We redid of floors and we have some tiles that we pulled up and I was wondering if I woulld be able to use some aquarium safe silicon to glue them together to make little caves for my shrimp and other fish.

Tony G.

I don't think so, it sounds like a good idea, but you have to consider that they have some cement like material at the bottom that can polute your tank. I don't know if its harmful to fish, but I wouldnt put it in until someone else gave you their oppinion. what color are they'

Gouramiguy17

Ya I sorta thought that it would be dangerous but you never know what you smart fishlore people will come up with.

aCoder

It would really depend on the type of tiles. In general, kiln-fired clay of any sort should be fine, as far as I know, but I've known some glazes that liked peeling off underwater, and I'd be wary of printed designs, since many of those use chemical transfer processes, and without knowing exactly what they did and what's left, it's tough to comment on the safety.

If your tiles are ceramic/porcelain/similar, and have a 'simple' glaze, (usually glossy single-color tiles, but they may do some patterns/textures without printing it), soak it in aquarium water for a week and see what happens. If nothing visibly comes of by then, I'd write it off as safe for the time being.

rileyrk190

Also, the stuff on the bottom would most likely be grout (I think?). Grout is sometimes used for the styrofoam backgrounds, so it would most likely raise your pH unless cured for a while in water. If the tiles are clay and have grout left on them, I have read on another forum (but have not tried it) that you can stick them in the back part of your toilet where the freshwater is. Everytime you flush the water will empty and fill up with fresh..of course don't use those bleach/blue tablets in there though.

Nate McFin

TIles can also be very sharp. I have cut myself on more than one occasion doing floors. Just something else to throw out there.

Gouramiguy17

Sounds like more work than profit, I'll just stick to stealing rocks from abandoned subdivisions.(there are some nice rocks in those entrances sometimes)jk

Shawnie

Gouramiguy17 said:
Sounds like more work than profit, I'll just stick to stealing rocks from abandoned subdivisions.(there are some nice rocks in those entrances sometimes)jk
I have filled my pockets with some amazing, flat, smooth , great shaped, large rocks from a newly set up pizza hut a few weeks ago ..its funny what we are looking for when out and about isn't it ;D

Gouramiguy17

They have some of the best rocks

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom