15 Gallon Tank Would this be overtsocked? (New Stocking Idea)

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, so I posted this before and people said that the fish I mentioned were hard to keep. So I have a new stocking idea, and was wondering what you guys think about it.

4 guppies
4 platys
5 or 6 neons
2 otos
4 ghost shrimp

Would this be okay or would you suggest taking something out, adding something. I would like my tank to be fully stocked, but not over stocked. I have a Aquaclear 5-20 gallon filter, a 50 watt heater and a bubbler. I also have a heater question. On the package, it says that it is for tanks up to 10 gallons. Would it work in a 15 gallon?

Thanks for the help!

Okay, so I posted this before and people said that the fish I mentioned were hard to keep. So I have a new stocking idea, and was wondering what you guys think about it.

4 guppies
4 platys
5 or 6 neons
2 otos
4 ghost shrimp

Would this be okay or would you suggest taking something out, adding something. I would like my tank to be fully stocked, but not over stocked. I have a Aquaclear 5-20 gallon filter, a 50 watt heater and a bubbler. I also have a heater question. On the package, it says that it is for tanks up to 10 gallons. Would it work in a 15 gallon?

Thanks for the help!
I also would not like the guppies or platys too breed, so should I get all males or all females?

Hello, I've merged your posts since they were back to back.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't think you would be overstocked, but thats just my opinion. If your tank is long rather than tall, it should be fine (as longer tanks have more swimming space).

One thing with livebearers, I would suggest not getting all males. In a smaller tanks, males can get a little aggressive with one another, even with no females to fight over. If you got all females, you would have them dropping fry for 4-6 months until their stored sperm is run out. The choice is yours, I guess

It may be an idea to put the heater in the filled fish-less tank and have a thermometer on the opposite side of the tank as far away as possible. Check the readings often over a day for consistency. This wouldn't be a particularly reliable method, but it would give you a vague idea. I think with heaters and filtration it is generally best to go for the slightly bigger units. I have a 100 watt on my 10 gallon tank, and it keeps the temperature perfect, never hotter than I have it set it.

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think you would be overstocked, but thats just my opinion. If your tank is long rather than tall, it should be fine (as longer tanks have more swimming space).

One thing with livebearers, I would suggest not getting all males. In a smaller tanks, males can get a little aggressive with one another, even with no females to fight over. If you got all females, you would have them dropping fry for 4-6 months until their stored sperm is run out. The choice is yours, I guess

It may be an idea to put the heater in the filled fish-less tank and have a thermometer on the opposite side of the tank as far away as possible. Check the readings often over a day for consistency. This wouldn't be a particularly reliable method, but it would give you a vague idea. I think with heaters and filtration it is generally best to go for the slightly bigger units. I have a 100 watt on my 10 gallon tank, and it keeps the temperature perfect, never hotter than I have it set it.
The tank is long, not tall. Would the other fish eat the fry? I would actually like that to happen because I don't want a billion little fry all over my tank!

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They will eat the fry if they have the opportunity. There may be a few odd survivors over time, but i wouldn't think too many. I haven't tried this myself, so I can't be sure

Oh, and one thing with the otos, I think they prefer schools. They have a pretty small bioload, I think you could up the number from 2 to about 4-5. Also, make sure you introduce them last when the aquarium is established. They are very sensitive to water conditions and also need some algae to eat

Pleco-Owner123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They will eat the fry if they have the opportunity. There may be a few odd survivors over time, but i wouldn't think too many. I haven't tried this myself, so I can't be sure

Oh, and one thing with the otos, I think they prefer schools. They have a pretty small bioload, I think you could up the number from 2 to about 4-5. Also, make sure you introduce them last when the aquarium is established. They are very sensitive to water conditions and also need some algae to eat
If there is no algae for them to eat, could I just keep a cucumber or a few algae wafers in there all day? x for all the other info

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If there is no algae for them to eat, could I just keep a cucumber or a few algae wafers in there all day? x for all the other info
Yes you could just add 1 algae wafer everyday and I think that would be good with them. I've heard that otos can be picky sometimes though and won't except algae wafers and you would have to grow algae or something. I'm not really sure about that though, it might have been plecos not otos but I can't remember

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You will have a few fry who manage to survive. My big female playthings has dropped fry twice (with no males in the tank for 2-3 months) and I have 2 fry that survived.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom