Would this be overstocked? 29 Gallon Tank

1. sbdzx Member Member

Hi everyone,

I was planning this stock for my 29 gal: 6 cherry barbs, 5 albino corys, 2 male platys, and 2 honey gouramis. Waiting for my tank to cycle seems like it's taking forever, and I can't stop thinking about fish. I started wondering about alternative stocking lists.

6 bloodfin tetras OR glowlight tetras OR cardinal tetras OR harlequin rasboras, 5 albino corys, 2 male platys, and a pearl gourami OR an angelfish. The reason I say an angelfish is because a friend said he thought I should get one, and they're also really pretty.

I'd really appreciate it if you tell me what sounds good from this list, without putting me over my tank's stocking capacity of course. Thanks! I've got what I'd probably call "fish fever," lol.

2. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

I have been there before ;) as with probably the majority on here. I mush of changed my list about 5 times.

anyways I know most people say 29g is fine for a single Angel but plenty also say its better to have a bigger tank since 29f is really not 29g when you think of it. Swimming space could be an issue. Your first list sounded pretty good to me.

3. JeffK Well Known Member Member

Either list sounds fine, except I'd nix the angel from list #2. (Your numbers are pretty close to what I have in my 29 gal - I have 5x albino corries, 8x harlequins, 1 honey gourami, and 1 bolivian ram. Before I upped my harlequins from 6 to 8, I had 2 guppies, and before I had the bolivian ram, I had 2 honey gourami. When I got the bolivian, I moved one honey from my 29 gal to my 15 gal). Good luck with whatever you decide!

4. sbdzx Member Member

Darn. Angels are so pretty, and I've heard they have great personality. Oh well, gouramis are pretty, too. Thanks guys!