Would this be overstocked?

1. CherryBarb123

CherryBarb123 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, it is another stock list, but with the rehoming of my zebra loaches and cherry barbs, I have some extra room :)

Tank Size - 55 Gallon
    Filter - Fluval U4 Internal Filter
    Weekly 1/3 PWC

I currently have

5 x Rummynose Tetras
    6 x Bleeding Heart Tetras
    2 x Angelfish
    2 x Honey Gourami
    6 x Julii Corydoras

I know the rummies inparticular could do with a bigger group. I started with 5 and plan to add more. I also needed to try them as some people have bad luck with them so I though it would be best to do so.

I was thinking would this work as a final stocking (With my old fish rehomed, I have extra space and have decided to go with the "Bigger Impact shoals" rather than the small busy shoal look!

8 x Julii Corydoras
    6 x Bleeding Heart Tetra
    2 x Honey Gourami
    10-12 Rummynose Tetra (Would 10 or 12 work?)
    2 x Angelfish

Is that fully stocked, overstocked or about right? Could I fit in a small group of ottos amongst them? I don't want to overstock it

I am sorry that I have done another stock list, but with the rehoming, my plans have changed completely!

2. fighter55

fighter55 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The Rummy's are fine at 10 or 12, but 10 would be a better choice. If you got rid of BHT's you could up the Rummy's more(maybe 12-13). Angelfish and Gouramis may quarrel a tad, but Honey's are pretty docile. For the Cory's I would up the shoal to 8-9, because they get smaller than other Cory's, and basically have the whole bottom to themselves. For Otto's, you only really want to get them if you have a lot of algae in your tank. You could try Kuhli Loaches, they get a little bigger than Otto's, but they don't need algae. If you got kuhli loaches I would get 5,6 or 7 of them, since they are more active in groups. If not then you can try a BN Pleco.

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I think your stock list looks ok, and I would go with it and see what the tank looks like after.

4. OP
    OP
    CherryBarb123

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! Would the kuhlis like fighter55 suggested be pushing it in a group of 6? With only 6 cories on the bottom, there is plenty of room. I don't want to add them if it will be too much

5. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I would get kuhlis or corys. Personally I'd get cories but I'd bump it up to 10 :)

I think your stock list looks fine. I think you could up both tetra schools up to 10 and have no issues.

6. OP
    OP
    CherryBarb123

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! That's good news :D I definatly like the bigger groups! I already have the cories, so I will add more of them. Based on what you guys have said, this would be the stock list:

10 Bleeding hearts
    10 Rummies
    10 julii cories
    2 angels
    2 honey gourami

7. e_watson09

Ratings:
    +35
    I use to have my bleeding hearts in a 55 and they were amazing. I actually had them with angels and cories too. :) I had like 15 tho. :p

Mine are HUGE now.

8. fighter55

fighter55 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Stocking sounds awesome! There will definitely be some activity in there!

9. OP
    OP
    CherryBarb123

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol! My bleeding hearts have turned into massive whimps since the rummies have gone in! It makes no sense, but all of a sudden they are ultra jumpy, and quite often when the rummies swim amongst the Bleeding hearts, the bleeding hearts will dart off :D

I am loving it so far!

Thanks for the replies :)

10. e_watson09

Ratings:
    +35
    Mine are super passive as well. They only ever nip at eachother if anything.

11. OP
    OP
    CherryBarb123

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, please could I have some help with plants. At the moment, I have a mixture of plants and I don't even know what half of them are, but I would like to get some more plants.

I would like to do a fairly heavily planted set up, and start again with my plants. I would like something that is easy to keep (I have Tetra Complete substrate and use a liquid fetilizer all though not that reguarly) and yet looks nice.

Please could someone point me in the right direction. I would like some tall, full looking plants. Please could someone give me some suggestions. I am not prepared to spend a fortune on a single plant, but will consider it if it is nice enough :)

Thanks!

12. OP
    OP
    CherryBarb123

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree! Very peaceful!!

13. e_watson09

Ratings:
    +35
    I love my amazon swords they have been doing really well in my tank.

14. OP
    OP
    CherryBarb123

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an amazon sword, and I plan to get another one. The only other one I have that I actually kind of know what it is, is some type of vallis. I don't have a clue about anything else I have :(

15. e_watson09

Ratings:
    +35
    banana plants and dwarf lily plants also always did good in my tank.

16. OP
    OP
    CherryBarb123

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I will take a look at them :)