Would this be overkill?

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
424
Reaction score
75
I have a 29 gallon heavily planted tank with a marineland 200 gph filter. Would it be overkill to get the 350 gph filter? The tank would have some fish that like current like dwarf neon rainbows and a panda garra and a bamboo shrimp if I can get one. It would most likely be overstocked but it is very heavily planted, floating plants, and would have an overkill filter.
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,115
Reaction score
1,584
Location
Canada, MB
Experience
1 year
You can never go over when it comes to filtration. The only problem that can arise with overfiltering, is that the flow can be too strong for some fish and plants. It shouldn't be too much of an issue with dwarf neons, IMO.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
W

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
424
Reaction score
75
AquaticQueen said:
You can never go over when it comes to filtration. The only problem that can arise with overfiltering, is that the flow can be too strong for some fish and plants. It shouldn't be too much of an issue with dwarf neons, IMO.
Ok. It would have angel and rummy nose tetras as well
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,115
Reaction score
1,584
Location
Canada, MB
Experience
1 year
wtusa1783 said:
Ok. It would have angel and rummy nose tetras as well
It shouldn't be an issue with the tummies, but angels are slow swimmers, and may become stressed if the current is too strong, but that may or may not happen depending on how strong the flow is on the filter.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
W

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
424
Reaction score
75
AquaticQueen said:
It shouldn't be an issue with the tummies, but angels are slow swimmers, and may become stressed if the current is too strong, but that may or may not happen depending on how strong the flow is on the filter.
Ok thanks for the input.
 

Heron

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,044
Reaction score
624
Location
Cumbria uk
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keeping a tank overstocked is possible but harder work. Regardless of what filter you use you only have the same amount of water so water quality will change quicker. A bigger filter will deal with the extra ammonia and nitrites but will not have an impact on other parameters ( Nitrates, GH, KH and more importantly pH ). Plants will only use a little bit of nitrate so you will need to remove more yourself via larger and more frequent water changes. If your KH gets too low between changes your pH may become unstable so you may need to add bicarbonate to keep it up.
If you want to do one water change a week of 20-25% and not have to fiddle with water parameters then don't overstock.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
W

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
424
Reaction score
75
Heron said:
Keeping a tank overstocked is possible but harder work. Regardless of what filter you use you only have the same amount of water so water quality will change quicker. A bigger filter will deal with the extra ammonia and nitrites but will not have an impact on other parameters ( Nitrates, GH, KH and more importantly pH ). Plants will only use a little bit of nitrate so you will need to remove more yourself via larger and more frequent water changes. If your KH gets too low between changes your pH may become unstable so you may need to add bicarbonate to keep it up.
If you want to do one water change a week of 20-25% and not have to fiddle with water parameters then don't overstock.
I understand. I do 50% weekly
 

Phormist

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
8
Location
Louisiana
Experience
2 years
Yea like stated above you can never had too much filtration and just be mindful of the outflow of the filters on some plants and fish. I have a 29 gallon newly planted tank and I have 2 HOB filters. One is an Aquaclear 30 and the other is an Aquaclear 50, totaling 350 GPH. Honestly if you have a HOB that has proper filter layering then your flow should be almost perfect.
I have an angelfish and dwarf hair grass (and it's tall right now) and they don't mind the flow at all. They swim through with ease and on top of that I also have a UV Sterilizer that created small water flow too towards the bottom of my tank, and it doesn't disturb anything. haha my Cory cats love it actually

In-short, no it would not be overkill :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
W

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
424
Reaction score
75
Phormist said:
Yea like stated above you can never had too much filtration and just be mindful of the outflow of the filters on some plants and fish. I have a 29 gallon newly planted tank and I have 2 HOB filters. One is an Aquaclear 30 and the other is an Aquaclear 50, totaling 350 GPH. Honestly if you have a HOB that has proper filter layering then your flow should be almost perfect.
I have an angelfish and dwarf hair grass (and it's tall right now) and they don't mind the flow at all. They swim through with ease and on top of that I also have a UV Sterilizer that created small water flow too towards the bottom of my tank, and it doesn't disturb anything. haha my Cory cats love it actually

In-short, no it would not be overkill :)
Ok thanks! I have 3 of the 350 marineland so I think before I pull the trigger I will test it out and see how my fish react. If they look unhappy I’ll just stick with what I got.
 

Phormist

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
8
Location
Louisiana
Experience
2 years
wtusa1783 said:
Ok thanks! I have 3 of the 350 marineland so I think before I pull the trigger I will test it out and see how my fish react. If they look unhappy I’ll just stick with what I got.
Sounds good, note the extra filtration is going to be way beneficial either way because you are heavily stocking your tank; so I'd recommend it. Your fish will actually adjust themselves to the flow in your tank a little bit too, and if they are young they will get stronger as they grow larger to handle the flow.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
W

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
424
Reaction score
75
Phormist said:
Sounds good, note the extra filtration is going to be way beneficial either way because you are heavily stocking your tank; so I'd recommend it. Your fish will actually adjust themselves to the flow in your tank a little bit too, and if they are young they will get stronger as they grow larger to handle the flow.
Ok thanks. Like I said I’m gonna test it first so I don’t spend money on a filter that would make my fish unhappy
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
W

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
424
Reaction score
75
DanMolstad said:
If you are worried about nitrate building you could try sticking a pothos cutting in your tank and let it root there. I’m experimenting with it now in my shrimp tank.
I like that. How do you do it? Do I need a light for it?
 

DanMolstad

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
4
Location
Stanwood wa
Experience
3 years
wtusa1783 said:
I like that. How do you do it? Do I need a light for it?
Pothos is a very common house plant. Just take a cutting from a plant and stick it in. You can youtube it if you want more information on it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
W

wtusa1783

Active Member
Member
Messages
424
Reaction score
75
DanMolstad said:
Pothos is a very common house plant. Just take a cutting from a plant and stick it in. You can youtube it if you want more information on it.
Ok thanks. I already have floating plants in this tank to help suck up some nitrates.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
221
Guests online
3,026
Total visitors
3,247

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom