Would this be overkill?

wtusa1783

Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon heavily planted tank with a marineland 200 gph filter. Would it be overkill to get the 350 gph filter? The tank would have some fish that like current like dwarf neon rainbows and a panda garra and a bamboo shrimp if I can get one. It would most likely be overstocked but it is very heavily planted, floating plants, and would have an overkill filter.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can never go over when it comes to filtration. The only problem that can arise with overfiltering, is that the flow can be too strong for some fish and plants. It shouldn't be too much of an issue with dwarf neons, IMO.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
You can never go over when it comes to filtration. The only problem that can arise with overfiltering, is that the flow can be too strong for some fish and plants. It shouldn't be too much of an issue with dwarf neons, IMO.
Ok. It would have angel and rummy nose tetras as well

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wtusa1783 said:
Ok. It would have angel and rummy nose tetras as well
It shouldn't be an issue with the tummies, but angels are slow swimmers, and may become stressed if the current is too strong, but that may or may not happen depending on how strong the flow is on the filter.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
It shouldn't be an issue with the tummies, but angels are slow swimmers, and may become stressed if the current is too strong, but that may or may not happen depending on how strong the flow is on the filter.
Ok thanks for the input.

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keeping a tank overstocked is possible but harder work. Regardless of what filter you use you only have the same amount of water so water quality will change quicker. A bigger filter will deal with the extra ammonia and nitrites but will not have an impact on other parameters ( Nitrates, GH, KH and more importantly pH ). Plants will only use a little bit of nitrate so you will need to remove more yourself via larger and more frequent water changes. If your KH gets too low between changes your pH may become unstable so you may need to add bicarbonate to keep it up.
If you want to do one water change a week of 20-25% and not have to fiddle with water parameters then don't overstock.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Heron said:
Keeping a tank overstocked is possible but harder work. Regardless of what filter you use you only have the same amount of water so water quality will change quicker. A bigger filter will deal with the extra ammonia and nitrites but will not have an impact on other parameters ( Nitrates, GH, KH and more importantly pH ). Plants will only use a little bit of nitrate so you will need to remove more yourself via larger and more frequent water changes. If your KH gets too low between changes your pH may become unstable so you may need to add bicarbonate to keep it up.
If you want to do one water change a week of 20-25% and not have to fiddle with water parameters then don't overstock.
I understand. I do 50% weekly

Phormist

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yea like stated above you can never had too much filtration and just be mindful of the outflow of the filters on some plants and fish. I have a 29 gallon newly planted tank and I have 2 HOB filters. One is an Aquaclear 30 and the other is an Aquaclear 50, totaling 350 GPH. Honestly if you have a HOB that has proper filter layering then your flow should be almost perfect.
I have an angelfish and dwarf hair grass (and it's tall right now) and they don't mind the flow at all. They swim through with ease and on top of that I also have a UV Sterilizer that created small water flow too towards the bottom of my tank, and it doesn't disturb anything. haha my Cory cats love it actually

In-short, no it would not be overkill :)

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Phormist said:
Yea like stated above you can never had too much filtration and just be mindful of the outflow of the filters on some plants and fish. I have a 29 gallon newly planted tank and I have 2 HOB filters. One is an Aquaclear 30 and the other is an Aquaclear 50, totaling 350 GPH. Honestly if you have a HOB that has proper filter layering then your flow should be almost perfect.
I have an angelfish and dwarf hair grass (and it's tall right now) and they don't mind the flow at all. They swim through with ease and on top of that I also have a UV Sterilizer that created small water flow too towards the bottom of my tank, and it doesn't disturb anything. haha my Cory cats love it actually

In-short, no it would not be overkill :)
Ok thanks! I have 3 of the 350 marineland so I think before I pull the trigger I will test it out and see how my fish react. If they look unhappy I’ll just stick with what I got.

Phormist

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wtusa1783 said:
Ok thanks! I have 3 of the 350 marineland so I think before I pull the trigger I will test it out and see how my fish react. If they look unhappy I’ll just stick with what I got.
Sounds good, note the extra filtration is going to be way beneficial either way because you are heavily stocking your tank; so I'd recommend it. Your fish will actually adjust themselves to the flow in your tank a little bit too, and if they are young they will get stronger as they grow larger to handle the flow.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Phormist said:
Sounds good, note the extra filtration is going to be way beneficial either way because you are heavily stocking your tank; so I'd recommend it. Your fish will actually adjust themselves to the flow in your tank a little bit too, and if they are young they will get stronger as they grow larger to handle the flow.
Ok thanks. Like I said I’m gonna test it first so I don’t spend money on a filter that would make my fish unhappy

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
DanMolstad said:
If you are worried about nitrate building you could try sticking a pothos cutting in your tank and let it root there. I’m experimenting with it now in my shrimp tank.
I like that. How do you do it? Do I need a light for it?

DanMolstad

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
wtusa1783 said:
I like that. How do you do it? Do I need a light for it?
Pothos is a very common house plant. Just take a cutting from a plant and stick it in. You can youtube it if you want more information on it.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
DanMolstad said:
Pothos is a very common house plant. Just take a cutting from a plant and stick it in. You can youtube it if you want more information on it.
Ok thanks. I already have floating plants in this tank to help suck up some nitrates.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom