Would this be ok....

nmwierman1977

Would a 3 gallon tank be OK for a hospital tank? I'm shopping on Dr's. Foster and Smith for a hospital tank ahead of time for when I get my next Betta, so I don't have to worry about getting one in a hurry if anyone gets sick. So I was planning on getting the Eclipse System 3 aquarium, along with the heater, air pump and thermometer. I was going to get a critter keeper, but they didn't have anything I liked and plus I think an actual aquarium would be better anyway, so they can stay warm. With the holes in the tops I think it would be a little difficult to keep a constant temp the same. Tell me what you think. My main concern is the size of it. I want to make I don't need anything bigger then a 3 gallon, since it's only a hospital tank. Thanks. Natalie

chickadee

Since you asked, that is exactly the tank of my hospital/quarantine tank.. it is a wonderful tank and in fact, Mr. Blaze just vacated it when I got the 12 gallon and moved everyone around. It is sitting running waiting for Andy if he ever gets here. The 25 watt heaters work in there and the filter is great. You can leave it set up and keep it fed with ammonia and just do a quick water change and have it ready and cycled or you can do as I do use the Bio-wheel and keep a sponge filter in the cycled tank ready to pop into the small tank when I need it. Since I have 4 other tanks, if I have a sick fish I can keep sponge filters going in them all and if I use a sponge in the hospital tank and do not want to use it again after medicating, I can just dump the sponge and replace it with another sponge and recycle it in the tank when the fish gets well. If you use the sponge filter method you do not have to feed the filter, all you have to do is keep it running and when you are ready pop the cycled sponge filter in and the bio-wheel will pick up the bacteria from it. When you are done medicating, just slip a filter cartridge in and the carbon will take the medication out.

Pardon me if this does not make sense, just let me know as I am trying to type and think at the same time but sometimes that is like patting my tummy and hopping up and down, I cannot do both together.

Questions are welcome... ;D

Rose.

nmwierman1977

OK,cool. I think I'm getting everything now then. The only thing I need to get from the store is airline tubing because Drs. Foster and smith is out of it right now. Thanks for the fast response Rose. Natalie

PS When did I become a hero member? I swear I was just a senior member. I had to do a double take. LOL Natalie

gammerus

[high jack]

What does it take to become a hero member?

[/high jack]

chickadee

There is a certain number of posts needed to reach each level. I do not know the numbers, but Hero Member is as high as you go.

Rose

nmwierman1977

I was thinking of getting bio-spira from Drs. foster and smith for when I get my hospital/q-tank and then I can get another Betta and quarantine it for the next couple of weeks to make sure it's healthy. Then put it him in with the Ottos. Is that ok to do? If it is, how much of the BIo-spira would I have to put in? Natalie

LZ Floyd

From what I've heard, you can use all of the Bio-Spira; it won't hurt the fish.  And, good decision on the Eclipse 3.  I just got a 3 gallon Kritter Keeper for the same thing you're looking at it for.  It does seem to hold the heat, despite the very open top that comes with it.  But, it still needs a filter, which the Eclipse already has.

Mike

chickadee

Yes unfortunately the smallest pouch of Bio-spira is for 20 gallons and below (1 ounce) and it really does not work too well to use part of it and save the rest. I tried to do that once and just measured out what I thought I needed but it was messy and did not do nearly as good a job as just using the whole thing and making sure my fish were safe. I know it is expensive but considering the amount of my heart I put into these fish, the price is not high. (and I know you all know what I am saying as you are just as nuts about your fish as I am) ;D

You cannot overdose the tank so do not worry about that and the material I have read on the stuff does indicate that the tank is cycled instantly and the fish are totally safe within 24 hours. (I think they just put that 24 hours in as a defense mecanism ~ it is live bacteria and that is the same as if it had grown the slow way) The only time I had any problem the stuff was shipped during warm weather and I did not get it through .

Rose

nmwierman1977

Okay, Awsome!! I'll buy some bio-spira from drs.fosterandsmith and then I can get my betta and let him stay in that for a few weeks to make sure he's healthy. Then he can go in his new home. ;D Natalie

AesSedai

gammerus said:
[high jack]

What does it take to become a hero member?

[/high jack]
LOL gammerus

chickadee

Sounds like a plan and a good one.

Rose

AesSedai

Here's hoping the month goes quickly for you Natalie

chickadee

She does not have to wait a month if she puts the little guy in his own tank for the quarantine period. He can just live in the little tank for the amount of the quarantine and any longer that is necessary and then move into the tank with Burt and Ernie when she is ready.

Not that I am hurrying you but I thought you might want to have the pleasure of his company sooner.

Tell Burt and Ernie my little ones send their hellos. (wild fins waving and shimmying of the tails )

Rose

nmwierman1977

I will do that Rose. Thank you.

I've found too that Burt and Ernie are just like your Otto's and like to wait 4 days before they eat their wafer's. Ernie was eating some of it last night and Burt decided to munch on some of it this morning. I put a pea in their last night so I'm sure once that gets all icky and gross they'll chow down on that too.

My Q-tank/hosp. tank was shipped yesterday along with some other stuff with it that I would like to decorate it with. I ordered the bio-spira yesterday so I should have that a couple day's after I receive the tank. Do you guy's decorate your q-tanks/hosp tanks? I just thought it would be nice so they have some security in there while they getting over being sick. So, once I get both of them then I can get my Betta. I wanted to order one from online, but I'm hestitant because I'm usually only home on the weekends. So, I might just go rescue one form Petsmart again.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and advice. Natalie

LZ Floyd

I've wondered the same thing about decorating a spare tank.  It seems that, like so many other things-that-are-Betta, there might not be a clear answer.  While a q-tank/hospital tank free of decorations would seem to be easier to keep clean, it might also be a boring place for a sick, but, healing fish who might benefit from such decorating.

Mike

chickadee

Most pictures of q tanks or hospital tanks I have seen have a brand new clay flower pot (small) to use as a cave and perhaps a couple of plastic (can be bleached to kill germies) plants with little bags of gravel tied about their bases if there is not gravel in the tank itself. I myself use gravel in my q tanks as I believe it is cleaner than a bare bottom where the food and poo all mix together. The only time I do not is when the fish is really sick and I am so concerned I put them in the bucket where the whole thing can be sterilized. (the clay pot cannot be bleached) My q tank is in effect a smaller model of the bigger tanks as I feel if they are going to live there for 2 to 4 weeks they should be comfortable. It is really up to the individual owner.

Rose

cherryrose

I have my Q tank decorated. Of course I also have my platies in it to keep it cycled. Even if I didn't though, I think I would keep it decorated just for my own enjoyment.

CherryRose

nmwierman1977

I bought a couple new plants and an ornament from Dr. foster and smith, so I think I'll be putting the new plants in the new tank and the barrel ornament that I have in my 5 gallon in the new tank and put the new ornament in the 5 gallon.. I bought a castle with a bridge on it. It's so cool looking. I think they'll really like it.

Rose, Will miamiaquariums work with you for shipping? They have a Betta on Ebay in which only one person is bidding on right now and there is 1 day left on it. I emailed them and asked if they would be willing to ship on a Friday to assure that someone will be home on Saturday to receive him if I win it. I'm not bidding on him yet. I want to wait until I get the answer back. If not I think I might wait and get the aqua color one I saw at Petsmart. It couldn't be any older then 3 or 4 months old. It was so pretty.

Here is a pic of the one on Ebay.

Natalie

chickadee

Wellllllll, I do not know. What is your weather like where you live? You see I ordered Andy (gold/silver halfmoon) on January 2 and I have not gotten him yet as they will not ship until the weather is to their liking. I am a bit upset with them right now and so I do not know what to tell you. I am trying to get them to send the fish by FedEx overnight so I can get him here in one day and not have to worry about the two days it takes the post office.

When you hear from them let me know as I have been trying to get through to them and they do not seem to ever be there. I am glad they are taking good care of the fish but then I find through the feedback on eBay that they were shipping to California and the weather has not been too good between Florida and California either. Just found that out and it made me a bit peeved.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Rose- MiamI aquariums sent me an email today. This is what they said:

I'm sorry but we cannot. if there is a delay then they will deliver Monday. What we can do is have the fish deliver directly to the post office and you go pick it up. They will hold the fish at the post office and you can go pick it up. we deliver directly to the post offcie not your home address.Does that sound ok?

I don't know if I want to do that either. If they can't accomodate with me for shipping then I guess I just won't order from them because by the time I get out of work it's 4-4:30 sometiems even later then that. The post office closes at 5. I guess if I really wanted to I could have them send it to my work, but then I'd have to keep the fish in the bag until I got home and I don't want to do that either.
Oh well I guess I'm sticking with Petsmart. Natalie

nmwierman1977

Here is another one I found on Ebay, He's a breeder, but he's not breeding this one because he's not the right colors. I think he's gorgeous, don't you think? I love his coloring.

He's only 3.5 months old! Natalie

chickadee

I think he is beautiful and so UNIQUE. What does he mean not the right color....he is lovely. And he is a Combtail and they are very valuable.

Rose

nmwierman1977

He's they aren't the color's he's working with. He has a purple and red one too and selling it for the same reason. He must only be working with certain colors.

Natalie

chickadee

Okay, now you have done it....I bid on another halfmoon and I was not going to do that.  I love both the fish you have listed and they are such unique colors...I am so glad that he is offering them instead of just ditching them as undesirable.

I knew as bad as I was feeling about not getting Andy now I should not go there but it is done and now I am already thinking of names....SHEESH!

If I get him I think he will be NAT after guess who..????

Rose

nmwierman1977

So, does that you'll be naming him after me? ???

Sorry, didn't mean to start something with you, I've been just looking around for myself.

I got an email back from the one that I should in the first picture. I asked her about willing to work with me as far as shipping him if I won him and receiving him on a Saturday. She said that she could hold him for me until the following Thursday and ship him out that Thursday and I could get him on Saturday as long as I live in the vicinity for a 2 day period. If not she can overnight him for me. But that wold be 35.00 and it's 20 for 2 day shipping. I don't know. There are 3 or 4 days left on it. I think 3 days left on it. I'm just going to keep an eye out on it. I really like him though. He is a beauty indeed.

I saw the one you were betting on. What a beauty!! Natalie

chickadee

Yes that means that he would be named after you since you were the one that indirectly introduced us... ;D I haven't got him yet and I do not know if I can win the auction as the ones like him generally go for a lot. You didn't make me do anything but I am a terrible softie when I see a betta that I think I would love to have. I will have tanks hanging from the ceiling before long. ;D

Rose

cherryrose

All of those bettas are beautiful! It would be hard not to buy one of them if I had the money. ;D

CherryRose

LZ Floyd

The pics are great to look at.  I'd be concerned, though, ordering a live animal whose safe delivery depended on UPS or USPS.  Some of the items we take delivery of look like they have taken a beating.

Mike

nmwierman1977

Well I would hope that since it's a live animal that they would take special care with it. I haven't definitely decided I'm going to bid on himyet. I'm just watching him right now. If I do decide to bid on one of them it's definietly going to be the lavendar one. I"ve never seen a betta with that coloring before and it's just such a beautiful color. I have no idea what I would name him though. I might need help with that. Natalie

chickadee

The Post Office always sends a special mailman for me when I get a fish. He does not stay in the Post Office or ride around in a truck and the vendors have always had them very well and heavily packed. It is really neat the way that Live Aquaria.com sends their fish, in a tiny little styrofoam cooler just the right size for them. It is well made and very heavy and well insulated. I love them and keep them in case I ever need to ship something that needs temperature control. They also use the same thing to ship their Bio-spira. Cute.

I heard from miamI aquariums today and they have had trouble with a water problem damaging their place and home and are in the process of moving EVERYTHING as most of their stock was killed with the flooding or what ever the water problem was. I guess I can come off it and give them the benefit of the doubt. They are now officially forgiven..

Rose

nmwierman1977

I'm glad that they got back to you and had a legitmate reason why they couldn't before. Ihope Andy wasn't one of the ones that were killed. Did they say? I'm glad that you forgave them. Natalie

chickadee

They were going to check on him but I told them I was going to cancel the order if he couldn't be sent soon. It makes me very nervous to have anyone else taking care of my fish. I will still get fish from them but I want them after I buy them even if I have to pay the extra for FedEx delivery.

Rose

nmwierman1977

yeah, I don't blame you. You know that lavender Betta I showed you. I've been watching it. There's 2 people bidding on it now. > I was really wanting him, but I don't want to pay an arm and leg for him. I guess I'll just keep watching him. If it gets too high then I'll get the other one that I'm watching. There's one that I could just by right out, but it's $18.00 with $25.00 shipping.Plus it's a halfmoon and I really have my heart set on a crowntail this time. It is beautiful though.

Ohhh, I just checked the lavender one and the other person must've retracted their bid because it's back down to just one now. ;D Did you win that red Betta?
Natalie

chickadee

7 hours yet but the bidding is up to $31.00 and I am still ahead...I know I am nuts. He is coming from Thailand and I will be a nervous wreck...I may have to make JT (the human) take this one as he made me take the other little guy although he cannot have HIM back ... I have fallen in love with him (the betta).

Do I have everyone confused yet? ;D

Rose

nmwierman1977

Have you found out how much the local shipping would be once it get's into the united States? That's is a bit much. I don't mind paying the 36.00 dollars, but it would all depend on how much the extra shipping would be too. Oh wait you don't pay the 5 dollars shipping the seller does, you only pay the local shipping once it get's into the U.S., right? ??? I'm so confused. Natalie

chickadee

No unfortunately, it will be $31.00 for the fish, $5.00 for the shipment to the US, and then $28.00 for the shipment from the transshipper to me. $64.00 total

Rose

nmwierman1977

Sheesh!! You are nuts! LOL I know you love your betta's though so it's worth it. Natalie

0morrokh

Having fish=being nuts. hehehehehehehe ;D

chickadee

Yes I know but I do not have an entertainment budget as I am disabled and at home all the time so I use what I would ordinarily spend on doing things on the fish and my regular expenses are not that much so, why not? I do not plan on buying any more fish for a LONG TIME...

Rose

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom