Would They Eat Shrimp?

ToRo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm getting ready to start stocking my 10 gallon tank (I've had some great suggestions on here-thank you) I was thinking of adding a two or three shrimp. But in reading about care of some of the smaller fish, it says they enjoy shrimp brine. Does that mean they'd try to eat my shrimp?

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not really. Shrimp come in different sizes anyway so you could get some larger shrimp like amano shrimp. I would recommend getting at least 4 as they feel safer in groups. What type of fish?

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, shrimp brine are tiny and are raised as fish food. They are like 1cm long full grown, but are usually fed as newly hatched.
Aquarium shrimp (like amano, RCS, ghost, rilli, etc) are much larger (at least an ich give or take) and any fish in a 10 gallon should be able to exist peacefully with them.

OP
T

ToRo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BottomDweller said:
Not really. Shrimp come in different sizes anyway so you could get some larger shrimp like amano shrimp. I would recommend getting at least 4 as they feel safer in groups. What type of fish?
Looking at Danio, killifish, gudgeon, ember tetras.... I don't really have it narrowed down yet. Wanted to find out about the shrimp first

fjh said:
No, shrimp brine are tiny and are raised as fish food. They are like 1cm long full grown, but are usually fed as newly hatched.
Aquarium shrimp (like amano, RCS, ghost, rilli, etc) are much larger (at least an ich give or take) and any fish in a 10 gallon should be able to exist peacefully with them.
Thanks you!!!

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ToRo said:
Looking at Danio, killifish, gudgeon, ember tetras.... I don't really have it narrowed down yet. Wanted to find out about the shrimp first
None of those fish should eat adult shrimp

OP
T

ToRo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BottomDweller said:
None of those fish should eat adult shrimp
Great - Thanks!

ToRo said:
Can you tell me between the rasboras, danio and tetras (ember) are some more skittish than others and likely to hide out? In planning what to get, I want something that will be hiding in the back plants

New Threads