Would they be fine in a 2.5g

1. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, so I have 2 pregnant guppies (maybe 3), and one pregnant swordtail. My parents said I can't purchase new supplies for them because it's too early and I have to wait till summer to sea how this whole fish thing I'm addicted to works out before getting new things.

I was planning on leaving the guppies as I would have nothing to do with them so they can just be protein snacks for the other fish... poor guppies, but I just can't take care of that many.

However for the swordtails, they seem to be in moderate demand so I was thinking of raising the babies, and selling/giving away some of the fish for maybe a little bit of money to get some more tanks (parents make me purchase fish with my debit card)

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think it would be a good idea for all three fish to be in a 2.5g tank. However one of the three could be in there. But the only problem is, if you cannot get a grow out tank I can't see how you are going to raise the babies.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

If all your looking to do is use the 2.5 as a grow out, I think you would be ok for JUST the sword tails, If you are letting the guppies take their chances in the main tank. If not, I would not mix all the fry, that would just be way to many for that tank.

4. iRun Member Member

How 'bout this:
    Mom and dad, I've taken the initiative to do a lot of research, and it turns out that to be a responsible, successful fish keeper, I will need a 29 gallon aquarium kit to support the needs of the fish I currently have.

Look at that, you've nailed the key phrases: responsibility and initiative. You've shown how the hobby has pushed you to be smarter by researching things, and shown you are a mature, compassionate person.

Finally drop the bomb that you may get something back from raising the babies and you're set.

I'm really hoping my little one is into fish, that way we can overrule my wife and fill the house with tanks ;)

5. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Go to walmart they sell a empty 10 gallon tank for 12 dollars its not the much and see if you can make a sponge filter:D