Would These Make Good Biological Media ?

1. danelch

danelch Valued Member Member

Hey everyone. I get these sponges pretty cheap at my local hardware store. You think they'd make good biological media if I put them in a sump or make a sponge filter out of them?
    There's tons of pores and hence,surface area. Hope the pictures show the sponge clear enough for you guys.

Sorry forgot to attach the pics
    cf386d179930fc89f4483683d8c04b16.jpg
    903bc56d7f806e7d7964d4d7216bfe9f.jpg

2. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

They may be ok... they seem a bit floppy though... not sure the pores are large enough...
    You just want to be sure they haven't been treated with any chemical agents...

3. OP
    OP
    danelch

I'll rinse em thoroughly before use
    But about pore size, isn't the more the better ? And they'd be more of They're smaller. No ?

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Household sponges are often treated with an anti fungal so I'd double check whether they've been treated before using them.
    Another possible problem is that household sponges are designed to absorb & hold water whilst aquarium sponges are designed to allow water to pass through them so they may not provide as much flow.

5. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

You did this before, when you had those anti bacterial kitchen ones in that diy internal sump thing, go safe this time, can you not get some pond filter sponges and just size them to your need's they are perfect. 0e8c539db1dbf21dcde3f5e754779fa1.jpg thats the stuff, comes in coarse, medium and fine. And its nit fire proofed or anti-bacterial.

6. OP
    OP
    danelch

Well yes I did do that last time but as it turned out later,the problem wasn't with those plastic pot scrubbies,it was something else entirely :(
    But you're right, I should be more careful this time. I'll do some more research and better yet I'll find something affordable and appropriate at my lfs

7. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Good call @danelch and the pond sponges in my pic are not expensive for a good quantity and i have not replaced the ones in use yet, i had them since i started to take this hobby seriously, they last ages look in to them, i hope you have better luck with what ever your doing this time.