Would these be good tankmates? Help

Discussion in 'Red Zebra Cichlid' started by Cichilid_learner, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Cichilid_learnerNew MemberMember

Hello ive just bought a 250l tank and i want to keep cichilds would these get on well together? :;dk

1x Male Red zebra
    1x Female Red zebra
    1x Male Electric yellow
    1x Female Electric yellow
    1x Male Bolivian ram
    1x Female Bolivian ram
    1x Male Demasoni or Electric blue
    1x Female Demasoni or Electric blue

I have asked the people in the pet shops but they can't find their rear ends with their hands tied behind their backs and a map of the human anatomy in front of them, so i turn to you. (No pressure!!!)

I hope you can help me out.
    Sam

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore. :;hi2

You should really edit your post. This is a family friendly site & swearing won't go over well with the moderators. :)

No the fish on your list cannot co-exist. The Rams require totally different water composition to the others & are not big enough or aggressive enough to deal with the other fish you want. Leave the Rams off your stocking list. You should stock rift lake cichlids only with other rift lake fish.

You will have problems keeping the nubers that you want of each fish to. Rift lake cichlids can't be kept in pairs like american cichlids. You need to keep either all males or you need to have 3-4 females for every male of a given species. If there are not enough females the male of the species will likely chase the female to death.

Rift lake cichlids generally need to be overstocked to minimise aggression so it's no big deal for you to add more females. If you take the Rams off the list & add an extra 2 females of each of the other species you will be well on your way to success. You could even add 4 of another mbuna species & still have a little room left over.

Make sure to decorate with huge piles of rocks to make lots & lots of caves. The natural environment of these fish is practically nothing but rocks & algae so plants & wood are not needed, Just big piles of rocks for cover & hiding places.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Cichilid_learnerNew MemberMember

Thank you

Hello Graeme
    Thank you for your advice and sorry about the language where im from its not indecent, but will keep that in mind for the future! :;thx
    For my tank I want to keep fish that have really bright colours so I will have the orange of the red zebras the yellow of the electric yellows and the blue of the demasoni what other brightly coloured fish could i keep?
    Also do i need to do partial water changes or will filtration be enough?

Sam

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  4. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

The language doesn't bother me but there are youngsters that cruise the site & a few juniour members as well that it isn't appropriate for.

All aquariums require water changes. Even tanks that don't have fish. Here's a couple of links to some info on tank maintainance that will help you understand what is involved in maintaining a healthy aquarium. Be sure to read the link to the nitrogen cycle in the second link or click the underlined words in this post.
    https://www.fishlore.com/Maintenance.htm
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...erb-page-beginner-experienced-fishkeeper.html

For another species of mbuna to go into your tank I would go with something along the lines of Bumblebee Mbuna (Pseudotropheus Crabro) or better still would be Obliquidens Zebra (Astatotilapia Latifasciata). The Bumbleebees could be a little aggressive for the Electric Yellows though no more so than the Zebras or Demasoni. The Bumbleebees have similar markings to the Demasoni so that could ceate aggression issues. Especially if you don't have at least 6 Demasoni in the tank. The Obliquidens Zebra is not a mbuna but will do ok in a well stocked mbuna tank. They are highly colourfull & will stand up for themselves without being overly aggressive. Very nice fish.

For your final stocking I would have something like:

1m & 3f Red Zebra
    1m & 3f Electric Yellow
    1m & 5f Demasoni
    1m & 3f Obliquidens Zebra

If there is still a bit too much aggression you could probably add in a couple more females of one of the species as long as your filter was up to the task & your water change routine is sufficient to keep the nitrates under control.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Cichilid_Learner and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

(thanks Nutter!)

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore! Excellent advice from Nutter!

7. OP
    OP
    C

Cichilid_learnerNew MemberMember

Thanks for your help im going off to the pet store now to price it all up!!
    The fish that you have suggested look great and I think that i will go with the Obliquidens as well.
    Very excited!
    I'll post pics when ive got it up and running
    Thank you ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice