Would someone mind Identifying my Pleco for me.

1. c

cabrerarm Valued Member Member

I think I screwed up. I got a pleco from petsmart and I think it's a common pleco but I'm not sure. At the moment he's in a 46 Gallon tank and I'm feeding him. If he is a common I believe that they can get to almost 2 feet? I would appreciate any help or advice identifying him.
    [​IMG]

2. j

jay275475 Valued Member Member

It looks like a common pleco, I've seen these at a local fish store that was very large (like over 2ft). Your going to have to rehome in a large tank.

3. T

ThatGuppyGuy Valued Member Member

Looks like a common to me.

4. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure it's not a common. Could be a skinny Peckoltia.

5. OP
    OP
    c

Well I guess a 100 gallon tank is in my future then. .

Sent from my SM-G925V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. j

jay275475 Valued Member Member

How could it not be a common, where I go they have tiny common pleco's they sell.

7. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

You can return it within 12 days ;)

:)

8. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

It looks like a common to me. If it wasn't labeled as anything other than small, medium pleco at petsmart it's a common of some kind, they're typically pretty good about labeling other species as such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. OP
    OP
    c

Unfortunately it's been more than 12 days but it's fine it gives me an excuse to buy a 100 gallon tank and set it up.

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Could you get a better pic of the coloring?
    A 100 may not even be enough.... I don't think they are wide enough for a 2 foot fish (if that's how big it gets-because not sure of type yet).

11. OP
    OP
    c

Here's a better pic if you could give me some ideas about what type of tank you think I'd need please let me know.
    [​IMG]

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Could you get a pic with it's fin raised?

13. hampalong

Fin raised would be good. The orange on the fins and the small white spots on the head are making me think it's not a common. Not a Peckoltia either. Could be a Hypostomus?

14. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

It's one of the 2 common species or a hybrid of the 2. A shot of the belly would help as well.

15. Bijou88

Yours looks very much like my pleco. Mine is a common (sailfin variety of some kind).

Attached Files:

16. hampalong

That's a Gibby. It does look very similar......

17. Bijou88

In the most recent picture the spikes on the sides and patterning/coloration just looked a lot like my guy I thought.
    cabrerarm try giving him some veggies, mine pops his fin up for me when he gets excited over veggies.

18. OP
    OP
    c

Yeah I have some zucchini in the fridge as soon as I get a chance I'll feed him and try to take a pic.

19. OP
    OP
    c

Quick update tried go feed him he's being stubborn and not coming out. Sorry but no pics of his fin as of yet.

20. OP
    OP
    c

Ok I tried to feed him more blanched zuchinu and he's not eating it. Can anyone recommend any other food that he might like?