Would some Galaxy Rasboras be able?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
I was able to find a store that carries galaxies if you get them ordered first. The manager would sell them to me for cheap and I have really wanted some of those beautiful fish since tanb got some. So my question is, would I be able to fit 6 of them in my 36 gallon tank so they can be with my harlequins?
Tanb - What all do you do to keep them alive? Is there anything special that needs to be done?
Tom

Advertisement

Advertisement
lucky! I want some galaxies. :'( that's cool that you found a place to get some.
I went to check if they had gotten any in and found they had 5. I bought 3 of them for $14ea. I am getting them used to the tank right as we speak.
Tom

So I went to exchagne 2 of the dead ones for some more but they only had 1 left, so they gave me my money back for the other. I found out they needed to either be by themselves or with other really small fish. So I took out the swordtail and platy from my 10 gallon and put these little guys there for now with a handful of java moss so they don't feel to bad and get to stressed from not being in the same tank they were in a little while ago.
Tom

sorry tom, not had chance to get on computer for a few days!
galaxies.....peaceful and won't bother anyone, its a case of anything bothering them, so avoid fin nippers (tetras etc). mine are on their own in an effort to breed them (not that they are breeding...but I never give up!).
many won't take flake food (still got wild instinct I guess for chasing live food, even if captive bred, probably only first generation captive bred), so daphnia, blood worms, brine shrimp (bbs or adult brine shrimp). I give mine a tiny amount of flake twice a day, I have seen them eat a bit, but just to make sure they eat properly I give them daphnia 6 days a week and bbs nearly everyday. ive had mine since march and they're still going strong and quite plump with very bright colours on the males, so I must be doing something right!!
make sure you acclimate them really slowly if you get any more as they are still quite wild (being prob only 1st generation) they are sensitive to change.....just think, for generations they lived in the inle lake in a stable environment!
also if you haven't already, have a look at the link in "tans tanks" in my sig. whenever I stumble across a site about galaxies or find an interesting piece of info about them I add it there!
sorry I took a while to respond! hope they're doing well. how many have you got now? what are they with? at full grown they aren't more than an inch with very little waste (their filter is always spotless and doesn't need cleaning unlike my filthy guppies and pleco!). they are a perfect little fish!

Thanks for the response even though it was late. I only have one right now and the guy I bought them from said they were wild caught and I originally had them with my harlequins and Bneon tetras. There is going to be an auction for aquarium fish/plants/supplies in September and I will see if I can get a hold of more then. I have the lone one in the ten gallon with just 2 otos and a coolie loach. I was able to feed them very finely crushed flakes and I am hatching some fairy shrimp so they can have some small live food to eat. Right now for color, the little guy, is just a little pale when I get to the tank and startle it. If you can find any other sites, just PM them to me. I have checked out and added the sites you have to my favorites on my comp.
Tom

Advertisement
No prob. your galaxy should be fine with the otos and loach. the paler ones are female, they will also have a dark vent on their underside signally they're ready to breed (mine have this....no fry though , and the males will have very bright red finnage and brighter bodies. will keep you posted on any other sites I find. let me know if you find any too! keep me updated on your galaxy and let me know if you get any more!

No prob. your galaxy should be fine with the otos and loach. the paler ones are female, they will also have a dark vent on their underside signally they're ready to breed (mine have this....no fry though , and the males will have very bright red finnage and brighter bodies. will keep you posted on any other sites I find. let me know if you find any too! keep me updated on your galaxy and let me know if you get any more!
OK, thanks, like I said, just PM them to me(would be too much work to go and search for it here(for me anyways)). I will keep you all posted on how the Lone Ranger(his name) is doing and if and when I get any more.
Tom

lone ranger.... hopefully he'll have more friends soon!
I thought it would be a suitable name since he is all by himself for his species. I named one of my regular neons that a while ago and it seemed to survive by itself for about a year until it pasted away a few months ago. Now there are only 40 more days until the big auction and a few more friends for him(I hope).
Tom

Well, I looked into the tank today and found the Lone Ranger dead in the 10 gallon. I am thinking of either moving Big Blue into the tank or converting it into a Saltwater tank. What do you guys think? I am so depressed right now it isn't even funny.
Tom

Advertisement
awww :'(. set backs are hard, but seems to be something us fishkeepers do encounter no matter how hard we try! I envy anyone with a s/w tank. if only I had the time and money!! depends on how much time and money you have I guess? I can't remember where you are in your education, but if you're getting nr the age of unI soon, and moving away, then s/w will be hard to maintain (transport back and forth) or entrust to family while you're away etc. the choice really is yours!!

awww :'(. set backs are hard, but seems to be something us fishkeepers do encounter no matter how hard we try! I envy anyone with a s/w tank. if only I had the time and money!! depends on how much time and money you have I guess? I can't remember where you are in your education, but if you're getting nr the age of unI soon, and moving away, then s/w will be hard to maintain (transport back and forth) or entrust to family while you're away etc. the choice really is yours!!
Ya, good point. I also told my dad that and he had said, 'NO'. He still thinks that you will need to spend hundreds of $$$ to set it up. It is a real shame.
Tom

so what's your thinking at the moment then for your next plan? any ideas yet?

so what's your thinking at the moment then for your next plan? any ideas yet?
I am probably going to put Big Blue in the 10 gallon with the little fish. If you didn't know, Big Blue is a betta.
Tom

Those are a beautiful fish, but personally I would not own them unless you plan on breeding, them as they are a species of fish that will soon be all but demolished in the wild. And I personally could not bring myself to owning them unless I was going to try to breed them to sell or give the juvies to a lfs instead of them being wild harvested and whipped out.

Hi!

In my LFS (No... You can't come. Tis' in the UK!) they sell those guys well cheap. Are they particularly worth getting?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
connorjs1004
Replies
Views
Isabela11
  • Question
Replies
Views
darrylzuk