Would my ebjd get beat up in this tank?

wtusa1783

Reaction score
I have a 2 inch ebjd in my 29 as a grow out. I would like to move him to a 40 breeder but since he is small I am worried about moving him since he is so small and costs $20. I have a 4-5 inch electric blue acara in that tank as well as a 5-6 inch firemouth cichlid. It also has a 3 inch polar convict which can be aggressive bc it is breeding. Should I move him to this tank or wait till he is about 3 inches? I know they grow extremely slow so I know this would take a while. I want to add another fish to my 29 and he is going at it with a kribensis and one of my electric blue acara fry that I’m growing out. I know they are sensitive so I would drip acclimated but if you were me should I move him or let him gain some size?

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't add anything to a tank where convicts are breeding.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
GlennO said:
I wouldn't add anything to a tank where convicts are breeding.
They are polar convicts. Slightly less aggressive. The male only chases off anything that may go close to the babies. They also can’t bite anything as they have a parrot cichlids mouth

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok I've never heard of them so I'll take your word for it. As long as you'll be around to watch and monitor what happens and take him back out if necessary there's no harm in trying.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
GlennO said:
Ok I've never heard of them so I'll take your word for it. As long as you'll be around to watch and monitor what happens and take him back out if necessary there's no harm in trying.
Ok. I understand some fish are naturally aggressive but it’s always up to the personality of that single fish imo. My main this is about moving him. Would that stress him? He was $20 so I don’t want to risk anything

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A bit stressed initially. I assume that you use the same water and temperature in each tank? If so drip acclimation will not be necessary. I move fish from tank to tank all the time. If he doesn't get bullied he'll settle in quickly.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
GlennO said:
A bit stressed initially. I assume that you use the same water and temperature in each tank? If so drip acclimation will not be necessary. I move fish from tank to tank all the time. If he doesn't get bullied he'll settle in quickly.
Ok. The tank he is currently in has a lower ph bc it has buffering substrate bc it’s very heavily planted and the 40 is about 7.8 so I would definitely drip acclimate for 2+ hours

New Threads