Would Love Everyone’s Input! Neons And Tank Size.

Can Neon Tetras be kept in a 10 gallon?

• Definitely!

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No way!

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So recently I’ve started to do more research and dig deeper into stocking requirements of Neon Tetras. I’ve found an overwhelming majority of aquarists (including Cory from aquarium coop) and websites say a minimum of 10 gallons, even Mike’s Fishlore article says it. So I’m officially revoking my previous opinion that they can’t be in a 10 gallon. I think a group of 6 in a planted/well scaped tank with adequate filtration and parameters is fine. I will say that it would be fully stocked besides possibly snails or shrimp. I’d like other’s opinions!

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't keep neon tetras in a 10 gallon. They are active, and I believe that they deserve a bigger tank. Also, Fishlore fish profiles are outdated, BTW.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They would do good in a tank like you described.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Funny! I started here with the preconception I would do neons in a 10 gallon and was told over and over, nope! Im not sorry I was given that advice or I may not have the shrimp I enjoy so much now....lol

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
aquatickeeper said:
I wouldn't keep neon tetras in a 10 gallon. They are active, and I believe that they deserve a bigger tank. Also, Fishlore fish profiles are outdated, BTW.
Says the Neon Tetra article was updated November 3rd, 2018

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticJ said:
Says the Neon Tetra article was updated November 3rd, 2018
Sometime I feel like people over exaggerate how active fish are.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think they're fine. I find guppies and endlers to be a lot more active, and the former get even bigger than neons; yet, they're always recommended for 10 gallon.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neons can go in a ten gallon.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 3 in a Fluval Spec 3 (2.6g) with a pair of guppies and 10 ghost shrimp. When they were alone, they just hid in a corner all the time. Once I put the shrimp and guppies in, they were much more active and out swimming with the guppies.

They are the remains of a school of 10 from a year ago. 6 died within a week and another died a couple of months after. These guys are doing great in the 2.6g since I'm not planing on adding any more. I'm actually surprised all 10 ghost shrimp are still alive.

Vaughn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ive never kept them just because I don't like tetras in general but in a decently planted tank with good filtration and frequent water changes I don't see why you couldn't have 6. People always say they're too active and I shouldn't comment on that since I haven't owned them but the ones I've seen don't really do much haha

NYFishGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Had 5 in a 5.5 gallon 16" for a couple months and were the first ones into my 20 gallon long.
They have more room to move around but they aren't darting around the tank and generally just "hang out"

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the input everyone! They are active fish, for sure (when in schools), but my Guppies that I have move even more than the Neon Tetra. Plus as @scarface mentioned, female Guppies can actually get fairly large.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe green neons?. But not sure, I would say no to regular neons

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
AJE said:
Maybe green neons?. But not sure, I would say no to regular neons
What’s your reasoning?

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
it's all opinions based, isn't it.

For my first ever tank, I had a 5 gallon. Cory from aquarium coop actually recommended a group of white cloud minnows for a 5 gallon on his channel. I got 6 of them in a 5 gallon, and whilst they ate well and were healthy, it was very limited room for the level of activity they had. I now keep some in a 20 gallon and they seem much happier swimming around, exploring the tank.

I've never been interested in keeping neons, but seeing how active they are in their large groups in stores, I personally would go minimum 20 gallons for them. But that is my personal opinion of course.

For a 10 gallon, I think other smaller nano fishes like CPDs, chili rasboras or rasbora maculatas would be more suitable.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@AquaticJ did you get your Neons yet?

I keep 20 Neon Tetras in a planted 40 gallon so a 10 gallon seems small to me.

19.02.07 Cube Aquarium Steve Joul (9).jpg

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AquaticJ said:
What’s your reasoning?
I believe they are smaller but am not sure

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!