Would like to have this tank set up.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by tigerlilyjade, Jan 11, 2013.

1. tigerlilyjadeValued MemberMember

I would like to have this set up in my 10 gal tank. It has been fully cycled for awhile now. I have 3 ghost shrimps and 3 black neon tetras in the tank. Sand as the substrate. And only one fake plant as now. The PH is neutral. Temp is 74

What i want is to put in a Anacharis plant, Hygrophila (temple narrow leaf), Four Leaf Clover, Micro Sword, Ruffle Plant. Are these plants ok is it to many? I have high light but no co2 system.

And the fish i want after i get the plants established are...
    3 ghost shrimp
    3 black neon tetras
    5 cherry barbs
    3 otocinclus catfish
    1 freshwater clam 2"

Would this be over crowding the tank? Please help any suggests appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to the forums

Personally Cut out the cherry barbs... then add 3 more black tetras BUT to each their own :)

3. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

I thought the same about the barbs but thought more otto's :)

4. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Neons are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 5. Oto's are also schooling fish from what I understand, but I think you can get away with 3 of them. But just make sure there is enough algae production in your tank to keep them fed. From what I understand they don't take very readily to algae wafers.

5. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

My otto's will eat the wafers, but only if they don't have enough to eat. They have no idea what the waffers are, but if they are hungry it only takes one of them finding it and eating it to get the rest to start eating them. At least that's my experience with them. Every once in a while they will all be together on the same wall eating but from my experience they don't school per say, they are just more comfy with others around.

6. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!

No Black Neons and no Barbs. If you want neons, get the regular ones. Black neons get considerably larger, and barbs are much too active.

Ottos and clams can be tricky. I'd hold off on them until much later. Clams feed out of the water column, so they need lots of floaty bits, but at the same time need water that is low in nitrates and nitrates. Ottos are similar, but need a tank with lots of algea. Most will not eat prepared foods, or even veggies.

7. tigerlilyjadeValued MemberMember

What about ember tetras instead of the cherry barbs. And i move the black neon tetras to my other tank and 3 more.

8. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

That would be better, depending on your other tank.

9. tigerlilyjadeValued MemberMember

Can I have female guppies with one male beta. What I was thinking is 3 ghost shrimp, 3 female guppies, 3 ottos, and one male beta? Wonder if that combo will work.

10. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

It's up the betta of it will work. In theory, yes, it could work.

11. tigerlilyjadeValued MemberMember

Ok how about this set up same plants as before but the fish as....
    6 Golden White Cloud
    3 ottos
    3 ghost shrimp
    3 female guppies (want to keep them away from the male guppies that are in another tank)

What does everyone think?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  12. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I think that'll be fine as long as you keep up on your weekly water changes. The guppies will add a bit more bioload than preferred, but nothing that can't easily be handled.

13. tigerlilyjadeValued MemberMember

At least the guppies are babys still and wont be to much of a bioload.

14. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

In 2 months they are pretty much full grown

15. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Guppies are fully grown at 2-5 months of age. Also, it's not uncommon for females to reach two and three inches.

16. tigerlilyjadeValued MemberMember

This is what it looks like so far. image.jpg

17. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Looks great! :)

18. tigerlilyjadeValued MemberMember

I want to get a small rock with a hidding place, then i think i will be done. Let the plants grow for a bit and then and the rest of the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice