Would Like To Double Check My Stocking For 65l Tank...

1. Kesh88

Kesh88 Valued Member Member

Hi all

An acquaintance advised me that I may have too many fish in my aquarium, so I thought I'd come onto a site I have received great advice from before and double check my stocking!

My tank measures: 60cm L x 30cm W x 36 cm H so is roughly 65 litres (approx. 17 US gallons). The filter is an Aquaclear 50. Current residents:

3 x red wag platies;
    8 x white cloud mountain minnows (I would like to up this to 12 if possible, this is so that I can put half of them in my container pond over summer to control mosquitoes, the other half can stay in the tank);
    4 x red cherry shrimp;
    1 x freshwater mussel (just for the winter, it normally lives in my pond);
    ~20 pond snails (I cull when I see their numbers climbing).

The tank is full of elodea and also has a small amazon sword and cryptocoryne. I keep the temp around 22°C (71°F). I change out 25-30% of the water once a week and use Seachem Prime. Other than this the tank has a natural gravel substrate and the only other decor is a pipe decoration.

Is 15 fish really too many for this size tank? I certainly don't want to add any more but the fish seem fine as far as I can tell.

2. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

As long as your fish have enough room to swim and aren't stressed, it should be okay. That isn't a very intense bioload. I would add more plants or decorations so the fish have some cover though. That is a pretty appropriate amount of fish in my opinion. I would consider getting a second small tank to keep them apart if it ever becomes an issue. Although, that is a pretty large amount of snails. I would try and keep no more than ten max

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

That's fine. I would just add a few more red cherry shrimp as they feel safer in larger groups :)

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Stocking looks fine to me.