Would Like To Double Check My Stocking For 65l Tank...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kesh88, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Kesh88

Kesh88Valued MemberMember

Hi all

An acquaintance advised me that I may have too many fish in my aquarium, so I thought I'd come onto a site I have received great advice from before and double check my stocking!

My tank measures: 60cm L x 30cm W x 36 cm H so is roughly 65 litres (approx. 17 US gallons). The filter is an Aquaclear 50. Current residents:

3 x red wag platies;
    8 x white cloud mountain minnows (I would like to up this to 12 if possible, this is so that I can put half of them in my container pond over summer to control mosquitoes, the other half can stay in the tank);
    4 x red cherry shrimp;
    1 x freshwater mussel (just for the winter, it normally lives in my pond);
    ~20 pond snails (I cull when I see their numbers climbing).

The tank is full of elodea and also has a small amazon sword and cryptocoryne. I keep the temp around 22°C (71°F). I change out 25-30% of the water once a week and use Seachem Prime. Other than this the tank has a natural gravel substrate and the only other decor is a pipe decoration.

Is 15 fish really too many for this size tank? I certainly don't want to add any more but the fish seem fine as far as I can tell.

2. PAND3MICValued MemberMember

As long as your fish have enough room to swim and aren't stressed, it should be okay. That isn't a very intense bioload. I would add more plants or decorations so the fish have some cover though. That is a pretty appropriate amount of fish in my opinion. I would consider getting a second small tank to keep them apart if it ever becomes an issue. Although, that is a pretty large amount of snails. I would try and keep no more than ten max

3. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

That's fine. I would just add a few more red cherry shrimp as they feel safer in larger groups :)

4. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Stocking looks fine to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice