20 Gallon Tank Would like some opinions on adding fish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downward Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi All!
So, I'm cycling my new 20 gal tank so I can upgrade my 10 gal fish to the new 20. I'd like to add another larger fish to be compatible with my female Swordtail but can't figure out what kind that should be! I'll be adding 2 fancy guppies (same sex) as well, if that helps to my Glowfish Tetra, 2 neons, snail, and albino corydora.

Any ideas??? I was thinking another larger fish like the Swordtail just to keep the tank interesting, and maybe the Swordtail won't 'bug' my Cory like she's been doing (though the Cory doesn't look too bothered about it). I've already looked through the Freshwater fish profiles and can't quite decide -- urgh!

Thanks!
~Lenore

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you should add more cories and tetras to bring their schools up, and let your swordtail be the superstar of the tank.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Meenu. The tetras and corys are schooling fish which are never truly happy or comfortable when they don't have groups of at least 5 or 6 to keep them company. Live bearers are not schoolers so they would be fine as the only one. Once you up the numbers for your tetras and corys they generally get much more active so your tank should really come to life.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+2 meenu and PP.

Neons especially enjoy safety in numbers. Schools of 5 or more are generally better for them, and IMO, there's something magical about a school of neons swimming 'in formation'

Downward Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Those are great ideas -- thank you! I think I will do just that!

Can I combine the numbers for the neons and Glowfish, or do I need 5 of each? Ditto on the cories? Do they all have to be albinos (not that I mind, they are beautiful!)...

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you have glofish (danios) or glowlight tetras?

Sometimes, fish with school with other fish the same size and shape as themselves, sometimes not.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think they'll school together. Pygmy and regular cories won't school, but cories of the same size should.

I think you'll be fully stocked. Is this what your final stocking list is?
5 cories
8 glowlight and neon tetras (I think you should do more than 5 total of these)
1 snail
1 swordtail
2 guppies

Downward Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That seems like a lot. How about:
3 cories
5-6 tetras
1 snail
1 swordtail
2 guppies

I really don't want to overstock. I had 2 cories originally and they seemed pretty happy. I never intended to only have 1:-(

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
do you have the guppies already? The bigger the group, the better the cories do.

what do you think of this?
5 cories
6 tetras
1 snail
1 swordtail

neon tetras produce very little waste, so that should help.

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with raising the cories to 5 -- this is better for the cories and more balanced overall.

TwinsFan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, personally, I'd skip the guppies and add more tetras--when they school, it's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom