Would it hurt if I got another bird?

Gordinian

got another bird?

My mom showed up today with two parakeets for me. I've been looking for new bird since my other keet, Mango, died- thing is, I was looking for something a little bigger, like a conure. But now I have two parakeets- oh well She told me she went into the pet store and saw the two birds in a cage by themselves. Typical story- owner could no longer care for them. Well, what does my mother do? She notices that they "look sad," and she felt bad for them, so decides to get them. *facepalm*

They came with a tiny cage (poor things), so I upgraded them to the cage I used to have Mango in- it looks like this:

But I figure, since they're in a new cage ("territory"), would they mind if I went and picked up another parakeet buddy? I know they can get a little mean to new bird after they've been on their own for a while. I still have the old cage... if I got another bird, could I put him in the small cage, next to the big cage, and wait for the three to get used to each other?

Not a fish related question, but I figured I'd ask anyways

mmolitor87

You can try adding him in, they might be super playful and happy for the company, worse cast just move him over to the new cage and keep them near each other. When you have free time open all the doors on the cages and let them explore out and to each other's cages and interact on their own. you might be surprised to find them all hanging out together after a while!

I'm going by the same general rule of training them to sit on your finger by giving them time to adjust to your hand slowly over time. I also had two friends who had a blue crown conure and a sun conure who ended up in each other's cages from the exact same type of scenarios lol.

Chirp chirp! I miss my parakeet.

Gordinian

Chirp chirp! I miss my parakeet.

I know how you feel I didn't realize how much I missed Mango until I took out his old cage and looked at his favorite toy

Do we think the cage pictured is big enough for three parakeets?

mmolitor87

It should be, with some clever arrangement of toys. It wouldn't hurt to go a little bigger if it's in your budget since they would always appreciate more room. Seems to be like there's enough for them to all be able to perch separately or together if they wish!

If you can get pictures of the lil fluffballs I'd enjoy that immensely!

allaboutfish

could you make a diy cage? I don't know a thing about birds but those cages just look so small.

Gordinian

Unfortunately, a new cage is not in the budget, and I would have no idea where to even start with a diy cage. If there's no room for another, that's fine. So far, I'm not very fond of the two that my mom got me- I was just thinking maybe if I picked out my own bird... I SUPPOSE I could try to like them a little more

mmolitor87

Give them time to warm up to you. Birds are very...interesting lol. Mine HATED me at first. She'd practically scream anytime I got near the cage. The whole "hand near the cage and wait for her to come to it" wasn't working so I ended up grabbing her fluffy lil butt right off the perch lol. She freaked out but I put her next to my heart and the slow beat calmed her down. After that she'd sit on my finger willingly. I'm not sure if she realized I wasn't going to hurt her or if she did it out of fear of getting snatched up again. xD Every once in a while she'd get the bright idea to try to fly (I kept her clipped because in my house that would be dangerous) and every time she'd end up across the room chirping up a storm. I'd call out her name, Serenity, and put my finger on the group. She'd waddle over quickly and hop on my finger and screech if I didn't quickly get her away from the big bad floor lol.

For a custom cage...chicken wire or something similar? It would have to be unable to hurt their feet of course. Wooden frame/stand? Could even leave a spot for a tray and use something such as a cookie sheet. The tricky part would be doors for the food/water and to get them out.

If you're anything like me they'll spent most of their time on/around the cages and you, not in them. They do seem small but they're mostly just for housing. My bird was in her cage during the night and maybe 30% of the day lol.

Gordinian

If you're anything like me they'll spent most of their time on/around the cages and you, not in them. They do seem small but they're mostly just for housing. My bird was in her cage during the night and maybe 30% of the day lol.

So... if I took them out of their cage a lot, three should be ok? DIY-ing just isn't for me. lol. I'll stick with the cage I've got

Thanks for the replies guys!

mmolitor87

It should be fine! The only possible issue I see is them bickering lol. Worst case scenario just put one of them in the small cage as you said.

Gordinian

Yay!

Pictures are coming, but I can't promise them today Don't let me forget, though! The first is yellow, with some black dots on the wings and green near the tail, the other is blue with a little white on the face and a couple black dots on the wings/body. I'm pretty sure they're both girls- the thing above the nose on both are pink. If I decide to get another, which color do we think would look best with the two that I've already got? I was thinking maybe green...

mmolitor87

Awwws a lil green fluff. :3 That would be adorable! xD

soltarianknight

I used to own a deformed little Teal named bubba. he was my buddy. He had 7 toes on one foot and 3 on the other so they were planning on destroying him. he lived with me for 4 years before I found him a new home. His cage was about the same size as the one in that link, a little smaller. BUT the thing was that I let him out. I mean, it wasn't a all day cage. hed be in while sleeping and when I was at school, then hes out. Loved him to pieces.

My friend just picked a sun conure off the street corner( seriously) a few months ago. She was th Sweetest bird EVER. She loved to sit on hands and I swear she could talk! An amazing bird for sure. Dont know much bout keets though.

mmolitor87

You can even teach keets to talk if you have a lot of patience! Not as well as say, conures, though. The blue crown conure I mentioned would say his name, Emerald, and "pretty bird" a lot lol.

Gordinian

Seriously? Destroying a bird because it has extra toes?? If cats can get away with it (and even be bred specifically for it), I think birds should be given a chance!

I do plan on taking these birds out of the cage a lot- no worries

Oh! I have pictures! Hold on a sec...

soltarianknight

It was because he had zero standing balance, but he could still climb and fly.

allaboutfish

cool. I don't know anything about birds. I want some one day but id have to have a DIY cage and itd have to be really big or I would personally feel bad. can't wait to see pics! maybe ill have birds soon.

Gordinian

It was because he had zero standing balance, but he could still climb and fly.

Oh! Poor baby!

As promised... two pictures are of the cage- so you get a sense of the size. I tried to get two pics of the birds, but one was too big, so you only get one

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 044 (2).jpg
    044 (2).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 045 (2).jpg
    045 (2).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 126

soltarianknight

OH! I forgot. No new birds yet. keep these guys for a little while and when your certain there is no medical issues to be addressed then bring in a new bird, as with all animals either take them to the vet or QT them. Purrty birds.

mmolitor87

Aww! Fluffed and content. that cage should be fine, especially since they don't mind being near each other.

Gordinian

Aww! Fluffed and content. that cage should be fine, especially since they don't mind being near each other.

Funny you should say that. Right as I was leaving, there was a little bickering between the two of them XD

They were just going to bed, so I didn't want to take them out of the cage. Better pictures tomorrow!

Fishies-for-me

As you have already found out budgies can bicker... hens more than males... your cage is ok for 2 that are bonded but really is to small for 3. 18x18 with 1/2 inch spacing is about the smallest you can go for 1 and if your dimensions are the same as the link you showed you can see you are only just a bit above that with 2 already. Budgie hens can be ornery quarrelsome little things... males are easier going and more likely to get along without fighting. Males also have more of a chance of talking than hens. I have 3 hens and 2 males in a 32x21x35 HQ flight cage... they squabble a LOT. one hen is the mother of the rest of them. I had the father too , but 2 weeks ago had t have him euthanized due to a kidney tumor... which by the way budgies are very prone to kidney and testicular cancers. I also have a parrotlet an a pineapple green cheek conure... each in their own hq flight cages. What are you feeding your budgies? Their food should consist of a good seed mix supplemented with pellets, fresh veggies, and cooked grains rices, pastas and legumes along with sprouted seeds, fresh water of course is a must also. If you would like a conure I say go for it if you have the room for another cage. My GCC is such a friendly , cuddly, clowny little bird. he gives kisses , high 5's and dances. he loves to be held and cuddled but is a very hyper little guy... sit still is not in his vocabulary. My parrotlet is a tame and handlable little fella but not cuddly... he will sit on shoulders, allow head and neck petting. He dances, gives 4 ( high5) and talks... he says thank you, birdie birdie, what did you do, and whatcha doing. He also mimics noises such as a spoon scraping his dish... trickling water... he laughs and quacks...Good luck in your decisions.

Gordinian

Aww, cute birds! I like the last picture

I don't think I'll be getting a third parakeet anymore... the two seem pretty content as they are. Thanks for all the help everybody!!

And: better pictures!

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 115

Fishies-for-me

Thank you... The last pic is my parrotlet.. Just an itty bitty guy... Smaller than the parakeets. nice pix of you birds they are very pretty.... And both look to be girls!

Gordinian

Thank you... The last pic is my parrotlet.. Just an itty bitty guy... Smaller than the parakeets. nice pix of you birds they are very pretty.... And both look to be girls!

Yes, they're both girls... hence their occasional brattiness towards eachother Getting better though!

A little update:

I just dropped by the pet store and got a couple more toys and some perches to replace the one I thought I lost; of course after I'd gotten home and opened them up, I saw the missing perch on the table... haha

Today I got home at three and took them out. Nine-thirty and they're still playing outside their cage; lucky little birdies Yesterday they had no interest in stepping up onto my finger- today they're starting to get it!

mmolitor87

Yay! Seems they like you lol. Bribing them with toys and freedom seems to do the trick! So cute! ^^

Gordinian

Yay! Seems they like you lol. Bribing them with toys and freedom seems to do the trick! So cute! ^^

And treats! I'll try giving them fruits tomorrow Any recommendations?

mmolitor87

Apples, bananas, pears, kiwi, melons of any kind, peaches, strawberries, and grapes. Those tend to be the easiest! Just be careful of seeds.

Start with the sweetest fruits first and they'll be more likely to eat and accept whatever you give them after. Strawberries or melons would likely be best!

Don't forget veggies either. Carrots, zucchini, peas, eggplant!

NO avocado! It'll kill them. :3

soltarianknight

My Tiel loved LOVED mango and leeche nuts and loquats. Those are kinda florida only fruits though..... Id say banana and sweet oranges would be nice. Yes, I spoiled my Tiel rotten.

Gordinian

Thanks guys!!

More pictures tomorrow? I think yes

mmolitor87

I look forward to them! I was able to find some pictures of my cute lil budgie when she was still alive. :3

serenity1.jpg
serenity2.jpg
serenity3.jpg

Fishies-for-me

I find budgies are more into veggies than fruit...lol..s o if the turn their little beaks up at fruit try minced veggies...mine LOVE broccolI and corn... A good bribe to get them on your hand is spray millet... And my birds all go nuts for hemp seeds... Yeah hens tend to bicker more than boys... To add a boy now would be asking for disaster as the hens can ( and will ) fight to the death over a mate... My hen tried to kill her mate when they had chicks and I had to separate them.. try hanging wet romaine lettuce in their cage and see if they like it... A lot will chew and eat the lettuce while rolling on it for a bath...lol

Gordinian

I find budgies are more into veggies than fruit...lol..s o if the turn their little beaks up at fruit try minced veggies...mine LOVE broccolI and corn... A good bribe to get them on your hand is spray millet... And my birds all go nuts for hemp seeds... Yeah hens tend to bicker more than boys... To add a boy now would be asking for disaster as the hens can ( and will ) fight to the death over a mate... My hen tried to kill her mate when they had chicks and I had to separate them.. try hanging wet romaine lettuce in their cage and see if they like it... A lot will chew and eat the lettuce while rolling on it for a bath...lol

I knew they also liked veggies... I just never eat much of those! lol. I'll make some corn tomorrow I've got a bunch of fruit, but I just cut up some watermelon for myself. I've never read that keets will go for watermelon, is it worth a try?

I know I promised pictures today, buuuut... time got away from me Hopefully tomorrow!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• bolivianbaby
  • Bird
Replies
Views
Kathy Potts
  • dmccormick91
  • Bird
Replies
Views
Annie424
  • Question