would it be possible

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by lollipopkiller, Jan 12, 2013.

1. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

im getting a 75g tank for my bday (april 18) would it be possible to put my 2" firemouth with my 4 1/2" convict both males in it? they will probly grow by than so would i be able? also would i be able to put my bumblebee in with them she is 3" right now i know shes from africa but i could keep all the parameters in the same range and keep them all happy right because i heard it is posible right?

2. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

The Convict and Firemouth would work. The African should have a tank for itself with other Bumblebees. JMO

3. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

I agree with disc61. SA and african shouldn't be mixed. you can't keep good parimeters for them. Africans like an alkaline ph between 8-8.5 or higher. SA like it slightly acidic more of the 6.5-7.5 area.

they also eat different foods. if your african gets too much protein she can get malwei bloat, its not a good disease and usually kills. In the wild your bumblebee scrapes algae off rocks.
    nls cichlid formula is pretty good for africans, only 34% protein instead of the 40+ other cichlid foods are.
    You're SA cichlids are carnivourous. yes they will occasionally nibble on plants but they mostly eat meat.

4. btate617Well Known MemberMember

While I agree South American cichlids and African cichlids have different water quality and food needs, it doesn't mean it can't be done. Most people who have multiple tanks do not adjust ph for different tanks/fish and keep their fish successfully, most.
    Food needs can be met by feeding a quality pellet that will be fine for the needs of both fish. Please don't think I want to advocate for people to keep Africans, I dislike ( hate is more like it but the mods may edit my post if I say hate ;) ) them and think people should stick to SA/CA cichlids but thats a different story.

The real problem here is the original poster hasn't asked about any South American cichlids.
    Both Cryptoheros Nigrofasciatus and Thorichthys Meeki are from Central America. Many Centrals are found in a very high PH, upwards of 8.5-9 in some cases.

You would be perfectly fine throwing those fish in a 75 together, where you choose to throw the African is up to you..... you don't want my comment ;)

Brian

5. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

well i kinda got an idea after reading your whole post:) why so much dislike for the African's, i think they are awesome, just need to be handled properly.

6. btate617Well Known MemberMember

Lol Disc61 it isn't so much that I don't like them, ok it is but that isn't the point of this post.....

You want to know my main problem wth them, everyone thinks they are the only colorful fish. Someone says they want color and everyone says Africans, and truth be told 80% of the Africans act, spawn, eat, etc the exact same way, just different colors. No one is willing to wait for a little brown Central to show color, which in many cases is way more intense than that of the Africans. No one wants something new, instant satisfaction right?

And before someone say I should keep them first I kept and spawned Africans for about 7 years before I finally got rid of the last batch. I just got bored Disc61, it was always the same routine.... this time with a blue fish instead of a yellow or a red one.

Brian

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  7. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, i don't disagree with that. there is definitely that idea that they are the most colorful freshwater fish out there. hard to get away from that though when there are literally 1000's of species of Africans to choose from.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice