Would it be ok to put guppy fry in a 5 gallon tank without a filter or heater?

Discussion in 'Sexing Livebearers' started by jokerrk, Dec 12, 2012.

1. jokerrkValued MemberMember

I would just use my current tank water and fill the 5 gallon just so the fry don't get eaten? Or do they need a filter and heater?

2. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

They need a very stable and clean enviroment. If you didn't have a filter you woild have to siphon and do pwc every day minimum. I don't know about.your normal room temp, if it was stable then that would be ok. They can be quite fragile when they are young. The hangon nets that stay in your main tank are great.

3. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I second a breeder net. They sell little breeder boxes at Petsmart for about $10, though most people prefer the bags. If you have plants, put some in the box with the fry so it can hide and feel safe. :)

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

What is the main tank?

5. jokerrkValued MemberMember

I have the following: 20 gallon Tank
    2 Cory Catfish
    3 Male Guppy ( 2 Leonard's, 1 is brand new)
    6 Female Guppy
    Currently 1 fry but 2 of them are about burst with tons of fry, they are HUGE. I have the 1 fry in a breeders net with nothing in it, waiting on local store to get java moss, not sure what I could put in there instead. Thats why I was wondering buying like a 5-10gallon tank and putting some ornaments in there.

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If your plan is to raise the fry to adulthood, then you'll need a much larger tank than a 5 or 10.

6 females can make lots of fry.... what is your plan for dealing with this?

7. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Just leave them loose in the tank. Give them some plants and caves, and the strongest ones will survive. That way you will not be overwhelmed with guppies and you can choose the ones you want.

8. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I have platies in my 55 with rainbows and rams, and there's a fry that made it to the "too big to eat" stage. If you have enough planty hiding spaces you'll get some out of it. You don't want too many anyway :p

9. jokerrkValued MemberMember

I was thinking of buying a bigger tank in about 1-2 months. Like 80-120gallon

10. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You could raise lots of guppies in a tank that big.

11. tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

Sometimes our best made plans can change on us. I think that until you have the larger tank in hand you should not try to save all of the fry. I tell you this from personal experience. I had 6 girls and ended up with well over 200 fry in one month and more coming all the time. All living in the 10 and 20 gal tanks that I had for them. I did plan to buy the bigger tank. However my colony came down with a disease which made transferring impossible. Good luck!!!

12. jokerrkValued MemberMember

Ouch, that sucks. Ill buy the tank next week and get it running cycle and what not, and then in one month-two month time I will move it all in there

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice