Would I be okay to add some otos to my tank?

kaleen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 29 gallon tank currently stocked with

8 platys
4 zebra danios
5 cory catfish
2 nerite snails

i want to add some otocinclus to help with algae, but if i add 4, AqAdvisor says the stocking level will be at 106%. I have an AquaClear 50 filter. Would it be okay to add some otos or would it be a bad idea? I don’t want to overstock my tank too much more. Thanks!

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would say that, yes, you can, Otos stay quite small and have a small bio load. Increase your water changing percentage and you should be fine.

I would start by adding 2, wait a week and make sure all your water levels are stable, and then you can add the other 2.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with redmare. Plus otos are notoriously fragile. They're all wild caught, and have often sustained irreparable harm to their digestive systems by the time they get to the store.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would not. Instead I would add one nerite snail(eats more types of algae, food source probably won't be a big issue), depending on species a couple more corydoras, and up the danios to 6.
Edit: Yes you can add some. Some may agree or disagree, personally I think 3-4 would be fine although my oto got rid of all the brown algae and I could not grow any in a jar. Personally I would rather go with a nerite.

New Threads