would giving cucumbers make ph high

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

My ph used to be 7.0 but today I tested it and it was high ph 7.4 or 7.6 hard to tell, when I used the regular ph test it was 7.6. The only thing different I have done is give cucumber. All of my tank mates in both tanks love it. I usually leave it for a day or two, I dont blanch it so it does not fall apart. I remove the seeds before I put it in. Would this make my ph rise???????

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Im not sure if it will change the ph but I would think it would have some effect after that amount of time.....but removing it after 12-24 hours is recommended so it doesnt decompose and effect the ammonia/nitrates...im sure some other members will know for sure

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

My other water params are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates and by the end of the week the only change is nitrates up to 20. I do weekly water changes of about 20-30%. I guess I will change the cucumber each day. Basically I always have a piece in the tank but sometimes I leave it longer depending on how it looks and how much is left.

Thanks

4. Kerber23 Member Member

If you are trying to raise the PH naturally... i would try Limestone :) its pritty and its safe. found some nice slabs rock hunting... good rocks... havent put them in becuase i need more acidic :/ but it works

5. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Actually I would like for it to be lower.....

6. Kerber23 Member Member

Driftwood.. it helped bring mine down .5 (7.5-7) i have a large pice andne a smaller one... works well :) ill doo some snoopin see what i can find

7. mathas Well Known Member Member

Cucumber is alkaline (so it could raise pH), but a .6 pH increase seems like a pretty large swing, unless your water has a low KH or you're adding a lot of cucumber in a small tank. Of course, it could also be more alkaline that I realize :;dk

You could always experiment by filling a glass of water, testing the pH, adding some cucumber, and testing again a few days later. If it raises, there's your culprit (or one of your culprits).