would giving cucumbers make ph high

Discussion in 'pH' started by redlessi, Nov 30, 2009.

1. redlessi

redlessiWell Known MemberMember

My ph used to be 7.0 but today I tested it and it was high ph 7.4 or 7.6 hard to tell, when I used the regular ph test it was 7.6. The only thing different I have done is give cucumber. All of my tank mates in both tanks love it. I usually leave it for a day or two, I dont blanch it so it does not fall apart. I remove the seeds before I put it in. Would this make my ph rise???????

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

Im not sure if it will change the ph but I would think it would have some effect after that amount of time.....but removing it after 12-24 hours is recommended so it doesnt decompose and effect the ammonia/nitrates...im sure some other members will know for sure

3. OP
    OP
    redlessi

My other water params are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates and by the end of the week the only change is nitrates up to 20. I do weekly water changes of about 20-30%. I guess I will change the cucumber each day. Basically I always have a piece in the tank but sometimes I leave it longer depending on how it looks and how much is left.

Thanks

4. Kerber23Valued MemberMember

If you are trying to raise the PH naturally... i would try Limestone :) its pritty and its safe. found some nice slabs rock hunting... good rocks... havent put them in becuase i need more acidic :/ but it works

5. OP
    OP
    redlessi

Actually I would like for it to be lower.....

6. Kerber23Valued MemberMember

Driftwood.. it helped bring mine down .5 (7.5-7) i have a large pice andne a smaller one... works well :) ill doo some snoopin see what i can find

7. mathas

mathasWell Known MemberMember

Cucumber is alkaline (so it could raise pH), but a .6 pH increase seems like a pretty large swing, unless your water has a low KH or you're adding a lot of cucumber in a small tank. Of course, it could also be more alkaline that I realize :;dk

You could always experiment by filling a glass of water, testing the pH, adding some cucumber, and testing again a few days later. If it raises, there's your culprit (or one of your culprits).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice