Would Cpds Be Happy In My Tank?

Discussion in 'Celestial Pearl Danio' started by fish_ninja, Apr 22, 2018.

1. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

Hi everyone,

I'm currently cycling my first tank and while waiting have been reading up a lot on what types of fish to stock it with. At some point I came across CPD's and just thought they were so beautiful. However, the more I read I am questioning whether I should get them, because I don't want them to be unhappy/stressed in my tank.

Currently, I have a 20 gallon high with medium-dark gravel substrate, two pieces of Malaysian driftwood, and some inert rocks for hiding places. I have 5-6 plastic plants, a couple in the foreground near the driftwood, and then larger plants in each back corner of the aquarium. I've read that they do well in heavily planted tanks, but I am not planning on having live plants until I'm more comfortable with my aquarium (and my wallet recovers!). I have found some larger, bushier plastic plants that I plan to order if I do go ahead and get the CPD's, so they have more cover.

I have an undergravel filter as well as a Marineland Penguin 150 GPH w/biowheel. I have an Eheim heater which since I have had it on seems to hold the temperature consistently. My pH has been hovering between 7.6-7.8 since I set up the tank a week ago. I don't have a way of measuring water hardness (will buy a test kit) but I know that our well tends to have harder water.

I probably haven't covered everything so please feel free to ask for more details. I hope that I can own these beautiful little fish but if I can't take care of them properly I will hold off.

TIA!

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Live plants isn't that hard as long as you know what to get, don't waste the money on the plastic plants right now. Could you tell us what your planning on stocking with so we could tell you if it is compatible. Also, all danios are river fish and like water closer to 75 degrees which is much too cold for most species out their.

3. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

Hi! That's what I've been told about the plants, but I think I would be limited to low-light plants because the hood I got came with a not-too-powerful light.

As for stocking, I go back and forth but I keep coming back to CPD's, 2-3 male guppies, and possibly cory's (not sure though b/c don't want to overstock and would want to keep them in a group).

4. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

the corydoras wouldn't work with the pearls since the temperature is too different.

5. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

CPDs will be ok with plastic plants. The biggest problem with keeping them happy is school size. The more you have the happier yhey will be and the more you see them.

Not all corys need warmer water some can be kept with CPDs. I keep mine with 3line corys and khuli loaches.

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

CPD's are no riverfish and they'll do great on 75F. There are a lot of corys that will do as well.

CPD's love real plants and so will most fish.

7. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

I'm fine going without the Cory's for now, as I would rather have additional CPD's.

Can you recommend some live plants that are easy to keep and can survive with low light? I have the Marineland LED hood which only outputs about 5 watts.

8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Mine are in a Cryptocoryne Wendtii forrest with some hornworth floating around tot protect fry.

9. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

Cool! Just looked these up, they sound perfect. Thanks!

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

They are in with 10 C.schultzei btw (unheated) e111d202adbc969f432db01a3dddc18b.jpg

11. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

I see you have cory's, what is the temperature of your water?

12. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Between 18C in winter up to 30C in summer. Normally around 20-22C

13. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

Hmm..ok, so one more question. Do you think I could keep CPD's with guppies, if the water temp were around 24C?

14. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I think you can, though I hate guppies.
    When you're getting CPD's one more warning. Be 100% sure they are healthy (no sunken bellies, spots, bloating aso).
    There is something lingering around in CPD's. When you doubt 1%, don't buy !!!!

15. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

Ha! Ok, fair enough. Thank you for the advice!

16. GalathielWell Known MemberMember

Some other easy plants are anubias (nana and nana petite) and java fern (I have both windelov and narrow leaf at the moment). I've also had pretty good luck so far with water sprite.

Do you know what the pH is of your tank? I think CPDs are gorgeous, but have been hesitant because of my high pH (8.2-8.4).

17. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

Thanks for the info on the plants!

Right now my pH is about 7.6. When I first set up the tank about a week ago now it was closer to 7.8. I haven't tested the water straight from my tap yet, though. I have driftwood in the water now that is making my water look like tea and have seen that if anything that lowers the pH, but 7.6-7.8 seems pretty high to me.