Would Adding Java Loaches Make Kuhli Loaches Less Shy?

Discussion in 'Kuhli Loach' started by ap4lmtree, Aug 1, 2017.

1. ap4lmtree

ap4lmtree Well Known Member Member

My 10 kuhli loaches hide during the day and come out at night i think. I can see them late in the evening more at 6pm or so, but i would like for them to come out even more.

If i add 4 java loaches, being that they are more outgoing than kuhli loaches, then would my 10 kuhli loaches become less shy and come out too?

thanks

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Post a picture of the tank they are in.

The key to having active kuhlis that you can see during the day is plenty of ground cover. Lots and lots of hiding places make them feel more secure and they will be out and about more often. My tank is covered with crypt wendtii and the loaches never hide and can be seen lazing around during the day.

3. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

ap4lmtree Well Known Member Member

okay. it is a 20 gallon high with 10 kuhli loaches and a yellow female betta and 11 amano shrimp

There are lots of pipes for everyone , they like the black pipe thing and also hiding under the large airstone

Here is the front and back:

4. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

It's certainly a nice start on a planted tank, but the front section needs a bit more cover to make the kuhli's more comfortable. Some mid-fore ground plants would do them good.

This is my loach's tank. It's a 10gal (kinda small IK) with 5 loaches and a male betta. They don't hide, aren't fearful and happily interact with each other.
    IMG_1207.JPG IMG_1327.JPG IMG_1404.JPG

When viewed from the top, you want to see as little of the substrate as possible. A tank full of plants is the way to go for loaches IMO.

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't add anymore loaches, 10 is a lot for a 20 high which has a pretty small footprint

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice