Would A Rainbow Shark Eat My Neons?

Evelyn1919
I would like to get a rainbow shark for my 75gal tank and I was reading about them and it says that they are very territorial but nothing about them eating smaller fish. I also did a research on the red tail shark but I was reading that that one will eat my neons so I won't get it.

if anybody knows if the rainbow shark will eat my enons please let me know.

thanks!

Shawnie
I have a rainbow shark in my 55 gallon and he is territorial about one cave area, but hes never eaten anything but what I feed the tank...he eats with the others and just makes sure they don't go in his cave...in a 75 gallon, give him his own area and I think he will be fine...

Evelyn1919
thanks Shawnie...i'm so excited so I'll go get it tonight!!! I'll post pix tomorrow to show him!!!

Shawnie
awesome!! what others are in the tank besides neons?

my 75 gallons has "moose" (aka oscars) in it hahaha...so I would love to see a 75 gallon with smaller fish...I bet its soooo active

Evelyn1919
yes...I have tiger barbs, rosy barbs, red tail rasboras and the neons. they all like to just swim up and down the tank all the time...very active tank.

i'll see if I can post a video tomorrow to show it.

J J Indy
I have a rainbow shark and he gets territorial but never eaten any thing but what I put in for food.It likes to eat my live plants they really like vegitation. I can't keep the cobomba plants for long he picks them clean which is ok I replace them when they get to torn up. His mouth is really not that big even when they get big they still have a small mouth I don't think he could fit a neon in there unless it was already dead and just picking at it. They also like shrimp pellets and frozen blood worms.

55 gallon #1, 2 gouramis, 1 rainbow shark, 2 albino cory cats, 1 rope fish, 1 pleco, 1 fiddler crab, 1 angel fish.

55 gallon #2, 1 hungry oscar, 1 pleco, 1 fish I have yet to Identify that came with the tank

Shawnie
I have a rainbow shark and he gets territorial but never eaten any thing but what I put in for food.It likes to eat my live plants they really like vegitation. I can't keep the cobomba plants for long he picks them clean which is ok I replace them when they get to torn up. His mouth is really not that big even when they get big they still have a small mouth I don't think he could fit a neon in there unless it was already dead and just picking at it. They also like shrimp pellets and frozen blood worms.

55 gallon #1, 2 gouramis, 1 rainbow shark, 2 albino cory cats, 1 rope fish, 1 pleco, 1 fiddler crab, 1 angel fish.

55 gallon #2, 1 hungry oscar, 1 pleco, 1 fish I have yet to Identify that came with the tank

love the description of your oscar! I call mine moose!! how big is your boy? and yes I agree about the rainbows mouths not being big enough for live fish...

Barbrella
Most "sharks" are fine with other semi-aggressive fish, like your tiger barbs, but sometimes will seriously harass smaller fish.

So keep an eye out to make sure your neons aren't being terrorized!

Shawnie
ive seen some crazy mean neons as well LOL

fish aren't predictable but we still love them

goggles
I would like to get a rainbow shark for my 75gal tank and I was reading about them and it says that they are very territorial but nothing about them eating smaller fish. I also did a research on the red tail shark but I was reading that that one will eat my neons so I won't get it.

if anybody knows if the rainbow shark will eat my enons please let me know.

thanks!

it should be fine with the tetras but if you plan on ever getting swordtails they have to be watched, rainbows hate them.

Barbrella
My shark didn't discriminate - he hated everyone equally!

goggles
My shark didn't discriminate - he hated everyone equally!

yeah but the thing is you still love them for it. little buggers.

Evelyn1919
hI guys!
well so far my rainbow shark is doing pretty good. he is trying to take over the entire tank and chasing all the others out of where he is (which is everywhere all the time).
he's about 3" and is black with red fins. I'll try and get a picture of him later.

Shawnie
awesome!! did ya get him a cave ? I can't wait to see the pics

goggles
yeah you should get or build him a cave, that will give him some territory and the other fish a boundry,they will learn to stay away.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Danjamesdixon
  • Question
Replies
Views
AngryRainbow
Replies
Views
Little fry babies
Replies