Would a large plastic tub suffice as an aquarium?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by severage, Dec 24, 2012.

1. s

severage Valued Member Member

Just wondering. I have an 8 inch ropefish in a 10 gallon tank, and he definately needs more room. I am going to get a larger aquarium very soon. However, I was wondering if a plastic tub would work. I know they can occasionally leach chemicals long term, is there any safe type of tub that doesn't do this? Reason I ask is they are cheaper, and much much easier to find.

Also, is there any way I could treat my ropefish since tomorrow is Christmas? :;shat
    Any food they particularly love?

2. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

3. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

I would make sure to add lights.

4. cichlidmac

The fish won't need special lighting. Room lights should work temporarily. These are the tubs my lfs uses as indoor ponds for pond fish and gold fish.

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Plastic tubs are fine to use. There's a lot of back and forth about the effect of plastics leaching, but I don't think most people even concern themselves enough to stop using plastic in their every day life.

6. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

The issue with plastic is that at some point most household bins will not be strong enough to hold its whole volume of water.

7. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

I would`nt do it . I heard they are very sensitive to change buy the tank and use the water from it.
    when i do water changes i use 2lt coke bottles with to drop of chlor stop for 24 hours to settle then make the change.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed - most are not designed to hold their volume of liquid.

9. cichlidmac

Tuff tubs are designed for it:)

10. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

I like Tuff tubs! They work great. But you must have a filter and heater in it. Ropefish are pretty sensitive to water temp in particular IME.

Any type of lighting isn't necessary. Being predominantly nocturnal, Ropefish prefer their environment to be dark or have dim lighting.

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Good to know.

Unfortunately the fish in question has died.

12. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

For future reference to those in need: The $5 20g utility tubs from walmart (the ones with the rope handles) usually last me at least a year outside so they are a pretty good investment if it's just a temporary situation. The one's I've kept indoors are still going strong 2+ years later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice