Would a large plastic tub suffice as an aquarium?

severage

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just wondering. I have an 8 inch ropefish in a 10 gallon tank, and he definately needs more room. I am going to get a larger aquarium very soon. However, I was wondering if a plastic tub would work. I know they can occasionally leach chemicals long term, is there any safe type of tub that doesn't do this? Reason I ask is they are cheaper, and much much easier to find.

Also, is there any way I could treat my ropefish since tomorrow is Christmas?
Any food they particularly love?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plastic tubs are fine to use. There's a lot of back and forth about the effect of plastics leaching, but I don't think most people even concern themselves enough to stop using plastic in their every day life.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The issue with plastic is that at some point most household bins will not be strong enough to hold its whole volume of water.

grfresconero

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would`nt do it . I heard they are very sensitive to change buy the tank and use the water from it.
when i do water changes i use 2lt coke bottles with to drop of chlor stop for 24 hours to settle then make the change.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The issue with plastic is that at some point most household bins will not be strong enough to hold its whole volume of water.
Agreed - most are not designed to hold their volume of liquid.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like Tuff tubs! They work great. But you must have a filter and heater in it. Ropefish are pretty sensitive to water temp in particular IME.

Any type of lighting isn't necessary. Being predominantly nocturnal, Ropefish prefer their environment to be dark or have dim lighting.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For future reference to those in need: The $5 20g utility tubs from walmart (the ones with the rope handles) usually last me at least a year outside so they are a pretty good investment if it's just a temporary situation. The one's I've kept indoors are still going strong 2+ years later.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom