Would a java fern survive under basic blue LEDs?

Aristotle
Java fern. Updated * Light / Hood

Would a java fern survive under basic blue LEDs or do I need a white light too?

Edit:

I have one final question for anyone willing to answer. I am currently missing the light fixture that is supposed to go on top of the lid. It seems to be cheaper to buy an entire new hood with a new light fixture attached.

My question is how do I know what bulbs are compatible with this hood?

The hood is Aqueon Aquarium Black 24" Fluorescent Deluxe Full Hood

I was hoping to be able to put in a low wattage bulb for low light plants, for example Aqueon® T5 Full Spectrum Daylight Fluorescent Aquarium Lamp
But it says the T5 bulb is only 12 inches.

So I'm a bit confused on how to make sure this specific hood is compatible with what specific bulbs.

I am assuming any fluorescent tube will fit as long as I make sure the wattage isn't too much for the fish / plants?

Advertisement
Aquaphobia
Blue LEDs don't include enough of the spectrum for plant growth and blue LEDs especially are not very bright. So I would say no.

Aristotle
Blue LEDs don't include enough of the spectrum for plant growth and blue LEDs especially are not very bright. So I would say no.

Thank you. It is my understanding any regular white aquarium lights would work for java ferns then? I hear they are very easy to light properly.

Advertisement
Aquaphobia
Probably! Java ferns are very easy to grow

Aristotle
Probably! Java ferns are very easy to grow

I have one final question for anyone willing to answer. I am currently missing the light fixture that is supposed to go on top of the lid. It seems to be cheaper to buy an entire new hood with a new light fixture attached.

My question is how do I know what bulbs are compatible with this hood?

The hood is [h=1]Aqueon Aquarium Black 24" Fluorescent Deluxe Full Hood [/h]
I was hoping to be able to put in a low wattage bulb for low light plants, for example [h=1]Aqueon® T5 Full Spectrum Daylight Fluorescent Aquarium Lamp
But it says it the T5 bulb is only 12 inches.[/h]
So I'm a bit confused on how to make sure this specific hood is compatible with what specific bulbs.

Advertisement
Aquaphobia
I didn't see where it said what size bulb it takes. The 24" hood I would expect to take an 18" bulb. Or you could buy used! I like the old hood lights that took screw-base incandescent bulbs, then I can buy suitable LED bulbs and retrofit the hood

Mifuluhu
IME money is wasted on the cheaper lights/fixtures. In the long run I spent so much more on upgrading than just listening to advice here and saving for better lights from the start.

Aristotle
I didn't see where it said what size bulb it takes. The 24" hood I would expect to take an 18" bulb. Or you could buy used! I like the old hood lights that took screw-base incandescent bulbs, then I can buy suitable LED bulbs and retrofit the hood

I actually found one that comes with a decent bulb 8000K pre fit, would this sit well with the fish / plants in a 20 gallon tall? ( I believe it is a full spectrum as that is their only listed 8000K. )

IME money is wasted on the cheaper lights/fixtures. In the long run I spent so much more on upgrading than just listening to advice here and saving for better lights from the start.

I agree with you and will definitely pursue this route when I decide to take the plunge with larger tanks, but at the moment I am only using a 20G.

Aquaphobia
Looks OK to me!

Aristotle
Looks OK to me!

Thanks for all the help. My tetras will probably thank you too once they have some live plants.

I have been using plastic plants, and while I washed them well before putting them in I still can't help but think they would appreciate the real thing a bit more.

Aquaphobia
I'm sure you'll see a difference in their behaviour!

mexicatz
give it a try

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RedOnion
Replies
Views
AdamS
Replies
Views
DoubleD80