Would a group of keyhole cichlids be fine without dithers?

Chewbacca773

As in title. If I kept a group of around 8 keyholes with 12 bronze cories in a pretty heavily planted tank, would they venture out into the open even without dither fish?
How big is said tank?

noobscaper

MacZ

In that tank size you may start out with a group of 4-6, but will have to reduce to a pair later on. Simply due to the fishes size.

Coradee

My keyholes were quite shy until I added a group of black neons, they felt safer with fish swimming above them & came out more after that

fishot

dither fishes are probably beneficial, but not completely necessary.

noobscaper

In that tank size you may start out with a group of 4-6, but will have to reduce to a pair later on. Simply due to the fishes size.
Are they really that big or is it more of a territory thing? I thought they only got to 4".

Coradee

Males are larger than the females & remember the size given on most sites is SL (standard length) & that doesn’t include the caudal fin so you can add at least another inch & more

MacZ

Are they really that big or is it more of a territory thing? I thought they only got to 4".
If two of them start to breed it's a territory thing indeed.

I had seen one lately of almost 15cm. And the fish was only 3 years old. 6 of that size in a tank that size (problem is the footprint, not the volume)... is a challenge I would not take.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
noobscaper
  • Question
Replies
Views
IntegralGuy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Delcos