Would a Fluval 306 be overkill in a 34g?

1. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Good news so far today! My parents are going to let me get my first external canister filter! It took a lot of persuasion and planning for making the space, but it's possible if we move a few items of furniture around my room!

I've been looking at the Fluval 06 range especially at the 206 which is for tanks up to 200L and the 306 for tanks up to 300L. I like to over-filtrate my tank, but would the 306 be an overkill?

Also when I get the new filter (in the next few months when I get paid next) should I run it alongside my current filter until a bacteria colony is established? Any advice on putting in a new filter is really appreciated :)

(Sorry for all the questions, but I've never replaced a filter before--uncharted territory for me!--and I want to make sure I do it right)

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

My vote: go for it. I usually buy the next step-up in filters. I have an Eheim rated for a 90 gallon tank on a 55 gallon tank.

3. Geoff Well Known Member Member

You'll be fine. I have a 406 in my 36g!

4. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Wow! The water must be crystal clear Geoff

5. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

You can never have too much filtration. Just make sure there isn't a hurricane in the tank and the fish are being thrown around. You should be able to adjust the flow. Or you could baffle the outtake if you feel it's too much.

6. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

IMO, run the new filter along with the old one, When you set up the new one, put half or more of just the filter pad media from the old filter in to the new one. That will jump start things. Assuming your old tank is fully cycled and established (meaning not 3 months old).

7. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

My tank is over 10 years old so cycling is no issue leftswerve

8. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Cool, I took the filter media out of a 10g including some bio stones and put them in a new filter for a 30g, I did not swap the whole filter, just all the media, and did fine (I discontinued the 10). Good luck.

9. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Okay thank you leftswerve for the advice, I was also thinking of adding a few of the Evolution Aqua beneficial bacteria balls as well to help kick start the biomedia too. My current filter, a Fluval 3 Plus internal filter, has no real biomedia, just a couple of coarse sponges and no other biomedia so I think the new filter will need a helping hand with the ceramic media and fine sponges.