Would a CO2 kit help?

1. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

Hi all,
    I have a 33.8 gallon tank equipped with 2x 24W T5HO.
    Going to place deflectors on these tubes this weekend (hood is not equipped with anything (except for being white).

But am wondering if a CO2 kit would be usefull or not?
    I now have a kit that works with tablets and drop one in every 2 days (indicated in manual).

Also added a long term CO2 test in my tank (from Dennerle) a week ago.
    The result it shows usually is around dark green/bluisch tint that would mean 20 or 10 mg/l CO2.

Since i have a lfs store to refil CO2 cannisters near my door (5min.) I am wondering to upgrade it to a refillable CO2 kit.

But have no clue if it is worth the money to invest with this kind of light?
    Just added dwarf baby tears and would like to be able to let them grow properly.

so was looking at a Dennerle 300 space (refilable).

any advice would be welkom.

2. D

DTurner Valued Member Member

Hey Andy. I recently got a pressurized co2 system in my 20 Gallon and my dwarf baby tears seem to love it.

I have tried different co2 systems and for a small tank what I would recommend is a 20oz paintball tank and the aquatek mini. This has a solenoid already equipped on it so you can put it on a timer for 6 to 7 hours throughout the day.

Also this is one of the less expensive solutions that can be automated. Roughly $80 for the regulator and $15 for the paintball tank. And the 20oz tank would have to be refilled every 2 to 3 months.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    AndyVE

Thanks for the info.
    What kind of lightning is equipped on your tank?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. D

I have 78 watts of t5 HO.

5. D

It's just cheaper to not go with the cartridges as well if you are going to keep using co2 in the long term.

6. OP
    OP
    AndyVE

Well i only have 2x 24W T5HO.
    was looking at a recharable cannister (probably dennerle quantum or space 300).

but wonder if it would be of any use with my 2x 24W on my 33.8g

just added reflectors on them (only had the white background of the hood)

7. D

Well that's 50 watts for 33 gallons. Almost 2 wpg. So medium light for sure.

One thing you can mess with which would be once you get the system in place is to vary the bubbles per second abs monitor tog fish.

8. OP
    OP
    AndyVE

Already bought me a longtime co2 counter (bubble with Kh liquid inside tank).

Is in there for a week and the liquid usually is dark green or slightly blue.

Only add CO2 tab every 2 days.

So wonder if it would have any use to invest in a CO2 system.

My liquid test kit gives me a:
    Kh =3 and PH = 6.5
    So according to the CO2 table this confirms my tester in the tank that I have around 30mg/L CO2.

9. D

Yeah my tank with the co2 system at about 1 bubble per second gives me roughly 7 ph and 5 kh. Which is a about 25 ppm co2. The only reason I would tell you to alter with a co2 system would be to automate it with a timer so it's less daily work.