Would a cichlid pair be suitable for my tank? Question

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by curly.haze, Mar 27, 2010.

1. curly.haze

curly.haze Valued Member Member

Hi All,

I have a 95 litre tank and was wondering if anyone could recommend a type of cichlid that would suit with my other fish. Also where i might find the information for that particular type?

Thanks

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I think your tank is overstocked as it is. It wouldn't be wise for you to add more fish. Are you still getting the positive reading for Ammonia?

PS: Angelfish are cichlids. :)

3. OP
    OP
    curly.haze

Well its good to know not to have any more :)
    Yes the readings are fine, I tend to do 20% changes every 1-2 weeks.
    You may be right about the stock because I keep forgetting the Angels may grow more too.

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Haze,
    Your angels migh grow large enough to eat your tetras - just something to keep in mind. I say definitely don't add any more fish

5. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Yeah your Angels are probably going to outgrow that tank. Still have the platy fry?

6. OP
    OP
    curly.haze

no they got eaten but now I have Angel eggs which arrived today ahh!
    Also my lfs said the angels will be fine with tetras of a broader body, hopefully they will be alright. Thank you for the replies everyone

7. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Yeah angels have little mouths.

8. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

I have seen angelfish grab neon tetras that were seemingly too large to swallow. The angel just kept swimming into the driftwood and shoved the neon down. The angel didn't eat for a couple days after that. Never underestimate what they can eat.

9. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

You are likely overstocked. However let me ask you this: Is your tank heavily planted? Is your filtration system efficient enough to handle another pair of fish?

26gal is not that big of a tank... Is it a tall tank or a long one?

What are your water parameters in terms of pH, GH, KH? If you have a soft/acidic tank, then Dwarf Cichlids might be a possibility but be careful.

I do work around overstocking (which is the main reason I have not submitted a member's profile article to Fishlore Magazine: I don't want to encourage others to try it).

Overstocking is a "no room for error" game. It can be played but you must be up to the task and have the guts to take big time losses if Murphy's Law gets in the way.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

10. OP
    OP
    curly.haze

My Tank is 80 x 30 x 40 high. The Ph is 7.6 but I dont have a test kit for gh or kh. Plants do not seem to do well in my tank because my platy enjoy eating them. I have considered getting a piece of bog wood as my lfs said the plants which grow on it are more acidic and less likley to be eaten.

I think that you are right and I have decided to leave the tank be as far as stock levels are concerned. My Angels are in a quaratine tank at the moment.

What would you suggest I do about my overstocked tank, I could not give my fish away as I have grown attached to the little guys but at the same time I think my partner is getting worried that we will end up with a fish tank in every room lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice