Would a canister work?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by GrumpyOldMan, Jul 26, 2015.

1. G

GrumpyOldMan Valued Member Member

I have what might seem to be an unusual setup. I have a homemade stand that supports my 75 gallon tank. When we built it, the thought was to put a canister filter on the bottom shelf, which we did until it died. We then got the bright idea to put my 29 gallon tank on that shelf. The 75 runs 2 Aquaclear 110's which I am very pleased with. I am running an Aquaclear 70 on the 29, Now on to my question.

Is there a canister filter (perhaps a Sun Sun) that I can run on the 29? I've heard that most canisters use gravity to operate. Because the shelf the 29 sits on is only 6 inches above the floor, would this even be something to consider?

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I have tanks that are stacked on top of each other so one is basically on the ground. I use canisters on them with no problems at all.

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

For a 29 gallon tank a canister may be a bit much, but I guess over filtration isn't really a problem. I would go with the HW-302. I have one on my 40 gallon and it does great. The spray bars will allow you to ease up the flow somewhat, so it's not a whirlpool in there.

The fact of them being at the same level won't matter.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Well they make canisters for as little as 20 gallons I believe, such as the Fluval 106 so it's not too much to get one for a 29g.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I have a sunsun hw302 on my 29g it works great, I don't use the spray bar but I'm sure if you modified it to fit it would be fine, I just have mine pumping out of the elbow joint, the flow isn't too intense either.
    I have an Aquaclear 50 running on there too and my fish are just fine, nobody is blown about. The height of the aquarium helps I guess. I'm using play sand which is really fine and stirs up easily and I have no issue at all so I can't see it being a problem for your either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice