Would a canister work?

GrumpyOldMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have what might seem to be an unusual setup. I have a homemade stand that supports my 75 gallon tank. When we built it, the thought was to put a canister filter on the bottom shelf, which we did until it died. We then got the bright idea to put my 29 gallon tank on that shelf. The 75 runs 2 Aquaclear 110's which I am very pleased with. I am running an Aquaclear 70 on the 29, Now on to my question.

Is there a canister filter (perhaps a Sun Sun) that I can run on the 29? I've heard that most canisters use gravity to operate. Because the shelf the 29 sits on is only 6 inches above the floor, would this even be something to consider?

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have tanks that are stacked on top of each other so one is basically on the ground. I use canisters on them with no problems at all.

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For a 29 gallon tank a canister may be a bit much, but I guess over filtration isn't really a problem. I would go with the HW-302. I have one on my 40 gallon and it does great. The spray bars will allow you to ease up the flow somewhat, so it's not a whirlpool in there.

The fact of them being at the same level won't matter.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well they make canisters for as little as 20 gallons I believe, such as the Fluval 106 so it's not too much to get one for a 29g.

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a sunsun hw302 on my 29g it works great, I don't use the spray bar but I'm sure if you modified it to fit it would be fine, I just have mine pumping out of the elbow joint, the flow isn't too intense either.
I have an Aquaclear 50 running on there too and my fish are just fine, nobody is blown about. The height of the aquarium helps I guess. I'm using play sand which is really fine and stirs up easily and I have no issue at all so I can't see it being a problem for your either.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom