Would a Bumblebee Catfish get along well with a school of Cory Catfish?

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think they would school together, if that's what you're asking. They might compete for food, depending on how many bottom feeders there are, how much floor space there is, and how much food there is.
I had one a long time ago (maybe in the early 90s?). I must admit that, when I bought it, I didn't realize it would get around 6 inches long.

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jclee said:
I don't think they would school together, if that's what you're asking. They might compete for food, depending on how many bottom feeders there are, how much floor space there is, and how much food there is.
I had one a long time ago (maybe in the early 90s?). I must admit that, when I bought it, I didn't realize it would get around 6 inches long.
I don't have any bottom-swimming fish yet
I was planning on getting some cories
and the bbc I want because I want it to take care of my platy's fry

the south american bbc is what I was looking at
the one you're talking about isn't the one that I am planning on getting

thanks for the advice!

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
he might get along with them, he might not...if he has enough hiding places...you might be ok...I had one a while ago, but it was in a smaller tank and he quickly bullied everyone, even my small kribs...again it was a 12 gallon tank...so that might have been the issue...they are very nice though

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Unfortunately, if the bumblebee catfish ends up growing faster than the cories, it will try to eat them. Normally, this causes the cory to stick out its dorsal spine, choke the bbc, and both fish die. Or, in a more realistic scenario, the catfish can hit 6 inches and start picking off the adult platies. So, no.

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your bb cat will get along fine with corys.The south american bb cat will reach 4" tops.The two have totally different feeding styles.The bb cat is going to be swimming around gulping up larger food particals and the corys will be sifting up the smaller stuff.A great combo for keeping the substrate clean of uneaten food.Just provide them with plenty of choices of little places to hide.
For all the people giving advice about the wrong catfish look up south american bummblebee catfish(Microglanis iheringi) not the asian bummblebee catfish on planet catfish.There is no way it can fit a cory cat in its mouth.

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dboll2 said:
I don't have any bottom-swimming fish yet
I was planning on getting some cories
and the bbc I want because I want it to take care of my platy's fry

the south american bbc is what I was looking at
the one you're talking about isn't the one that I am planning on getting

thanks for the advice!
My bad. Like I said, It's been ages since I've had one. I didn't even realize there were two types in the pet trade these days. I feel so out of the loop sometimes!

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh, whoops, I was looking at the wrong bb cat too. Sorry! The SA type should be fine in your tank.

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hahahahahaha

thanks a lot guys

this was a pretty funny thread to read

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads