Would a bamboo shrimp be compatible?

Potatomancer

Not super knowledgable here, but I can tell you I keep my 2 bamboo shrimp in a 36 gallon community and they seem to get along with kuhlis, bristlenose pleco, and harlequin rasporas. Most peaceful community fish are probably a good bet, but they tend to get a little shy even with the smaller fish, so should be given places to hide. Mine love to hang upside down under a rock structure for most the day and come out to feed when the lights are out.

Upvote 0

wtusa1783

Not super knowledgable here, but I can tell you I keep my 2 bamboo shrimp in a 36 gallon community and they seem to get along with kuhlis, bristlenose pleco, and harlequin rasporas. Most peaceful community fish are probably a good bet, but they tend to get a little shy even with the smaller fish, so should be given places to hide. Mine love to hang upside down under a rock structure for most the day and come out to feed when the lights are out.
Ok thanks. So you would recommend? I know they feed on small particles but will they eat algae wafers?

Upvote 0

Potatomancer

Ok thanks. So you would recommend? I know they feed on small particles but will they eat algae wafers?
So, because they're filter feeders/detritivores, they will basically feed on any decaying particles in your water column. If you have a 29 gallon tank with the fish you mentioned, chances are you would have enough for ONE bamboo shrimp to eat with the plant matter from your live plants as well as extra bits of food from your other fish. However, it is a good idea to supplement with crushed up algae wafer. You can do this easily by mixing it with tank water and using a syringe to send it into the water stream, directly to your shrimp. They will need to be standing up with their fans out in feeding position. I would look up a couple videos so you know what you're looking for!
Main thing is, if you see them sifting your substrate for food, chances are they aren't getting enough in the water column. For your size tank, you would be pushing it having more than one of these guys.

Upvote 0

wtusa1783

So, because they're filter feeders/detritivores, they will basically feed on any decaying particles in your water column. If you have a 29 gallon tank with the fish you mentioned, chances are you would have enough for ONE bamboo shrimp to eat with the plant matter from your live plants as well as extra bits of food from your other fish. However, it is a good idea to supplement with crushed up algae wafer. You can do this easily by mixing it with tank water and using a syringe to send it into the water stream, directly to your shrimp. They will need to be standing up with their fans out in feeding position. I would look up a couple videos so you know what you're looking for!
Main thing is, if you see them sifting your substrate for food, chances are they aren't getting enough in the water column. For your size tank, you would be pushing it having more than one of these guys.
Ok thanks! So they basically just need food thrown at them and they should be good? Are they compatible with my current stocking?

Upvote 0

Potatomancer

Ok thanks! So they basically just need food thrown at them and they should be good? Are they compatible with my current stocking?
Always depends on the specific fish, but yes none of your fish should aggressive towards it and as far as I know, water parameters should overlap.

Upvote 0

wtusa1783

Always depends on the specific fish, but yes none of your fish should aggressive towards it and as far as I know, water parameters should overlap.
Ok, thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Potatomancer

Ok, thanks for the help!
No problem! Have fun if you go for it, they're cool lil guys!

Upvote 0

wtusa1783

No problem! Have fun if you go for it, they're cool lil guys!
I’m thinking of getting one tomorrow if they are open and they have them. One more question, should I drip acclimate? Also, what should I look for in a good shrimp?

Upvote 0

Potatomancer

I’m thinking of getting one tomorrow if they are open and they have them. One more question, should I drip acclimate? Also, what should I look for in a good shrimp?
YES, please drip acclimate. They can be pretty sensitive.
Look for a shrimp that has their fans open to feed and is not digging through the substrate, and fans that don't look ragged. Also, basic fish buying guidelines apply, make sure they have both eyes and all their limbs are present and intact. I believe this particular shrimp can regenerate legs, but it's always easier to start with a healthy specimen. You're going to see some lighter ones and darker ones likely, they can change their pigment slightly based on the substrate so don't worry about color too much. They get up to about 3 inches when mature.

Upvote 0

wtusa1783

YES, please drip acclimate. They can be pretty sensitive.
Look for a shrimp that has their fans open to feed and is not digging through the substrate, and fans that don't look ragged. Also, basic fish buying guidelines apply, make sure they have both eyes and all their limbs are present and intact. I believe this particular shrimp can regenerate legs, but it's always easier to start with a healthy specimen. You're going to see some lighter ones and darker ones likely, they can change their pigment slightly based on the substrate so don't worry about color too much. They get up to about 3 inches when mature.
Thanks! How long should I drip acclimate them?

Upvote 0

Potatomancer

Thanks! How long should I drip acclimate them?
Gonna depend on how fast your drip setup works. Once the container is mainly tank water, it's time to move them in. Usually this takes me around an hour.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom