Would 3 male Guppies and 3 Kuhli Loaches work in a 10 gallon tank?

GuppieLuv

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm just starting up a 10 gallon and am trying to figure out what to stock it with. I really like the idea of a bottom feeder since in the past it's helped keep my tank clean so well. I was thinking of 3 Kuhli Loaches, but I'm not sure if they need more space than what I can provide and if I need more than 3. According to Petsmart 3-6 are required, but well... I thought I'd check with y'all first to make sure 3 would be okay, and not over crowded either.

I also wanted some sort of "normal fish" you know what I mean, a middle dweller or whatever the fancy term is I've hadguppies before and they are just beautiful. Could I get 3 of those too? I'd just get males. They'd get along, right? Or would having 6 fish being overstocked? Because guppies can grow to about 2 inches, right? And the Kuhli Loaches 4 :/ So that'd be 18 inches of fish in a 10 gallon... When thinking of swimming space it seems okay, three in the water on top, and three on the bottom. But there are probably other reasons to be careful of the amount of fish in the tank.

So, I suppose my main question, is really just would 3 Kuhli Loaches and 3 male Guppies work in a 10 gallon.

GuppieLuv

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How many of those would I need/fit? And could I get some of the one, and some of the other, or do they need to be with their "own kind?"

They both look really cool! I like how the loaches look like eels, but I think my friends and family would prefer the cories xD

And, oooo, I've had ghost shrimp before, they were cool to have, especially because I could make my friends try to count how many I had ^_^ How many would be alright in my tank?

Could I do both the cories and ghost shrimp? Or do I need to pick one or the other?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could do both, but they may compete for food.
6 of one or the other. Not mixed. You could, but......

GuppieLuv

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh, shoot, I was hoping I could get six of one of the kinds of cories (since you seem think that'd be best, that or getting the ghost shrimp) but neither petsmart nor petco seem to have them :/ I'll have to check out an other pet store I know of and see if they have any.

But, if not, I suppose I'll get the ghost shrimp, since those are pretty cool too So 6 ghost shrimp for 3 guppies? Or could I have more guppies and less ghost shrimp? Such as 4 guppies and 4 ghost shrimp?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, you can have 4 or 5 guppies, but you can have way more ghost shrimp than that. Maybe 10.

GuppieLuv

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sorry, that just makes me so happy, because I always want more fish than I can house, so being told I could have more than I expected makes me happier than a child on Christmas day xD

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah shrimp have a really low bio load so it won't really affect anything. They are some good little scavengers

Sent from my iPhone ⛄❄

GuppieLuv

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm working on cycling my tank, but when it's ready should I first get 2 guppies, 3 guppies, 5 ghost shrimp, than the other 5? Maybe each group a week apart?

GuppieLuv

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also, I have a betta, I think he might be a tad aggressive, but could I put ghost shrimp with him? Or would he tear the little things to shreds?

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Some bettas will eat them. Or some will be okay for a while but then soon they kill or eat them. I've never had luck with my betta. She was okay with the ghost shrimp for a few weeks. Then she started killing one by one. You can still try it, the good thing is that ghost shrimp aren't that expensive. They are around 30-40 cents each

Sent from my iPhone ⛄❄

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The betta would eat the shrimp..........
You can add them all at once, if it's cycled. If not, just add 2 guppies first.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom