Would 2 pearlscales be fine in a 10g/15g? Also, size confusion. Question

1. Moppi Initiate Member

I've had Pearlscale goldfishes for about 3 months already. I originally had 3, 2 of them were saved fishes from my younger brothers' experimentation phase and one was purchased. Due to my lack of research and conviction at one time i had 3 pearlscales on a measly 2gallon. Weeks ago one of the two originals died due to cloudy eye/fungal related sickness. This was one of the times wherein i completely put myself into goldfish info research.

Now i have each of the remaining pearlscales on separate 2 gallon tanks. (the other tank used was a standby quarantine tank) Now (a.) i am wondering and contemplating, i would want to get a 10g tank for the two pearlscales however on the researches that i've done i just can't land in on a conclusive final size for the pearlscales. Some say 8, some say larger some say 4... can't get a conclusive size. However i'm a bit torn coz i just don't want them to go at a size larger than 4 or 5 inches... i feel a bit uneasy to get them to bloat to that size. Just my personal preference.

I have grown attached to the pearlscales, my pet and as a breed as a whole, and if ever i actually don't want to settle for a different breed for now. I also dont want to give them up coz iirc the practice of "returning them to the petstore" doesn't apply here in the Philippines.

I'm just searching for answers for my inquiries and i'm considering my choices. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated, i don't want my pearlscales to continue being stuck on their prespective 2 gallon temporary homes. :'(

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well for 2 pearl scales I woulde advise atleast a 20 Gallon tank as they are big waste producers like all goldfish, however clearly a 10 Gallon would be better than their current 2 Gallons.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

I believer the goldfish (fancy's) rule of thumb is 10 gallons per fish,Or 20 gallons per fish for the common's or comet type and if your going for a 20 gallon, a long is better than a high for more air surface but they have 20 gallon kit's at ww for a decent price :) hope that helps :)

5. yukoandk Member Member

I agree with evryone here--20 gal. And as shellbell4ever mentioned, a long/wide is better than a high/tall tank. A bigger tank will be much easier to maintain in a long run. If you go with a smaller tank, say 10 gal, you will have to do more water changes, and smaller volume of water can cause problems easily because it's more difficult to keep the water in good conditon. As your goldfish grow you may have to upgrade to a bigger tank in the future anyway. Good luck with your fish, come back and let us know more!

6. Moppi Initiate Member

THANKS A LOT for the advices and suggestion guys.

So here's what i'm going to do: i'm going to get a 10gal first as ben mentioned. That's going to be their home until i clear out some stuff on my room for a 15gal or a 20gal. So if the 10gal will be emptied we're going to use it as a quarantine tank coz some of my younger brothers' fishes are quite large and using the 2 gals for quarantine would add to the stress of a sick fish if ever.

I just hope that my father won't go berserk when he gets home and sees my room with a 10gal. Haha. My room is on the 2nd floor and we already have this on our living room:

1.png

These are my younger brothers' tanks, the residents have been changed on the 15gal and 50gal. Hoping that another one on the 2nd floor won't hurt. :p Wish me luck on that one i guess...

7. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Just to give you an idea - I have a picture of one of my goldfish ( bought as a feeder goldfish from WalMart ) that I put in a "goldfish bowl" that is shaped like a wine glass. The container holds pretty close to 2 gallons. My fishie was only in it long enough to take the picture, then back into my pond. But I love the picture! Oh, and my goldie isn't even full grown yet. However, he is about 9 inches long which is how long your pearlscales will get. Although, pearlscales, being fancies, tend to have a chunkier body than the commons and comets. So, this is how your Pearlscale could look in a couple of years.

Attached Files: