Would 0-0-0 H2o Parameters Be Ok?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tanks and Plants, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

So last night was my monthly aquarium club meeting and every month we have a speaker. This month was about proper filtration for your tanks. The speaker is a pretty big importer of fish in Honolulu and he was saying that........

Down the line, about 6 months and IF you have the proper biological media(like Biohome Ultimate) and you grow the anaerobic bacteria your water parameters should be.....

Ammonia- o
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 0

I thought that you should always have some nitrates in your water? Now I can see if you have a 20 gallon tank and only 2 small guppies in it the parameters would be triple 0's, but in a moderately/heavily stocked tank and doing weekly water changes and the tank being fully cycled and with the right biological media, Can you have triple 0 readings and have a healthy tank?

Edit: the tank the speaker has are NOT planted tanks, his tanks are mostly bare bottom and some with fulval stratum and a plant here and there, but not your regular planted tank.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I think it is possible but I have a 125 that is heavily planted and lightly stocked and I always have a little Nitrate.

3. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

It really depends on what plants you have and how many in your tank not your fish

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Never heard of Biohome Ultimate, but it certainly is possible to use filter media that will remove the nitrates. I see no problem with triple zeros for nitrogenous waste. You don't need nitrates, they are simply the way we know the other nitrogenous waste is being removed. However, I would hope that it removes other pollutants as well. The nitrogen cycle is the easiest way for us to monitor the overall health of a tank, but it is not the only organic pollutant, and that is the real reason we do water changes.

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Yes-

The only reasons to need nitrates in your water is to either feed plants or tell if the tank is cycled.

6. OP
    OP
    Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

Thanks and Biohome Ultimate does help remove ammonia, nitrite, and once fully established and with some time nitrates. It's an awesome biological media. There are a lot of videos on YouTube if you ever want to check it out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice