Worth upgrading my tank to bigger or a second smaller tank?

Craig_84

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello all

I have a fluval roma 90l (23g) at the moment and I am torn between upgrading it to the fluval roma 125l (33g) or just buying a second smaller tank (10 - 15g) where I could store under my unit. I don’t have floor space for a bigger tank and I love the Roma tanks as the come with everything (heater,filter & cabinet) dimensions of 90l are : 60cm x 35cm x 72cm , 125l are 80 cm x 35 x 72. (L x W xH).

Keeping a 90l & 125l is sadly not an option to keep both running. The better half would not be impressed to say the least.

What would you do?

EllsBells

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This is really a personal preference and depends if there are any fish you would like.

For example, say you wanted a community tank but really wanted barbs too, getting two separate tanks would enhance the variety of fish you could have. However, if you wanted a jaw-dropper planted tank, get one large one and make an awesome aquascape to be a centre-piece in the room.

In my experience, the Fluval Roma tanks are amazing, and there really is no difference between the two apart from the size.

Have fun!

OP
Craig_84

Craig_84

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My 90 is fully stocked/ planted so it would be a case of moving everything over and add a few more fish and better scape. I love my tank at the moment but I feel it needs to be bigger. Then if I get another one I will feel the same haha.
.jpg

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Craig_84 said:
My 90 is fully stocked/ planted so it would be a case of moving everything over and add a few more fish and better scape. I love my tank at the moment but I feel it needs to be bigger. Then if I get another one I will feel the same haha.
.jpg
The aquarium looks lovely :D
I would opt to get a bigger tank and remake this on a larger scale.

OP
Craig_84

Craig_84

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes the more I think about it makes me want to do that. I will update with orders/progress.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I’d say if you’re happy with what you have and you just want a few more fish and to expand the scape get a bigger tank. If there are fish you want that aren’t compatible with what you have get a second tank.
I chose both. I had a 20 gallon and upgrade to a 75 gallon and will likely keep the 20 gallon going.

altwitch

Reaction score
Size upgrade really opens up a much wider range of possibilities that the smaller tank won't support. If you've ever had a fish you wanted but researched and found out might not have a big enough tank, then I'd say go larger. If you've ever wanted a fish that doesn't play so nice with others but fits in small tank go that way.

One additional factor is that the bigger tank will give you more reaction time and decision space if something gets out of whack before you have to start pulling out deceased fishy friends.

As beautifully scaped as your current one is though, you could do more cool stuff with the extra real estate. On the flip side, there is a serious advantage to a QT tank if you don't already run one. End of the day, whatever you decide will have advantages and disadvantages so do whatever 'feels' right to you.

OP
Craig_84

Craig_84

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well the bigger tank is on its way..... now how to break the news to the other half...

0072CD68-12B4-4AB3-A81D-5916C598514E.jpeg

New Threads