Worst Thing You've Ever Done To Your Aquarium Funny | Page 53

1. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

So that's what happened. RIP Fishies

2. Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I trusted the water supplier to sell me mineral water. The last time it was RO/DI water. I used it and the aquariums Ph crashed killing all but two fish (was a 37 gallon with a school of glass cats as well as corys etc) After that we installed a 5 stage RO/DI system and remineralize the water with Seachem Equilibrium that ended any water issues.

3. Sunnyday Initiate Member

I'm feeling a bit better about my own misadventures now. After about 8 years without a tank, I recently set up new one and since I'm trying a planted tank this time, went with a fancy LED light. About a month and a half in, dumped the LED fully lit and fully submerged while cleaning. So shocked I just reached right in and pulled it out without thinking... they sure do a good job waterproofing!!! Amazingly, it dried out and still works! Wow.

4. jl_1005 Member Member

Didn't know how to do water changes. Carried a 5 gallon tank back and forth to the sink twice in order to change water and wash the insides... cracked the bottom of it

5. barandemir09 Member Member

Oh my... and I can't be bothered doing a normal water change with a bucket and siphon....

6. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

I was cleaning my tank use it was getting green and forgot to leave some water in there and put all new water after that all my fish went into shock only my African dwarf frog survived. :( Rip fishies

7. barandemir09 Member Member

Oh, just remembered another thing... after doing a water change, I forgot to turn my heater back on. After about a month and a half later, I was plugging my filter back in after cleaning it and noticed that the heater hadn't been plugged back in for a while... luckily my house is kept warm at around 20 degrees during the day and like 16-18 ish during the night. This was in autumn (Australia)

8. niklev Member Member

I put a fully grown cichlid in with golden barbs and one by one they went missing over weeks... and they didn't look like they could fit in their mouth

9. PatchworkTheDragon Initiate Member

Actually I've done that before with my goldfish..
    i got them from Walmart and they all died in 3 weeks ;-;

10. BReefer97 Member Member

............... same.

11. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

I was trying to move some fish to another tank, and I knocked my small canopy with the LED into the water. ;)

12. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

The worst thing was when I started out. I didn't think I needed water changes. The water was brown. I kept doing impulse buys. The one that worked out was the assassin snails. I am glad I learned.

13. FabulousFlores Initiate Member

I had a bulb drop into the tank and explode and scatter pieces of glass everywhere while my corydoras were still in there, thankfully all survived and are still alive and healthy in a new tank

14. Retro Initiate Member

I destroyed my entire 75 gallon tank and $500+ of fish when i was 16 (30 now) by chucking a 2 1/2 lb barbell weight at my brother because he tripped over my ps1, turning it off, while i was playing final fantasy 7, 6 hours in without saving. Needless to say it sailed directly into the center of of my tank, smashing it, ruining my year and flooding my basement room. I learned multiple lessons that day, including anger management, keep your game systems off the floor, aim low and save often.

15. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

When we replaced the carpet upstairs, I "temporarily" moved the 29 gallon downstairs to the master bath. I mostly drained the tank, leaving about 2-3 inches of water and the gravel in the tank and just carried it downstairs, fish and all. Must have strained the silicone, about a week later, I came home and all the water was on the master bath floor... somehow there was 2 inches of water left and the angelfish survived to be rehomed.

16. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I built a saltwater Guppy Tank for my former school once. A friend didn't understand that it was saltwater and put plants in it.

17. Vision Initiate Member

I had a Pelco that was my first and I loved him! He was like 2 inches when we bought him and grew to about 8 inches. Some how got either itch or fin rot. Like you could see his bones sticking out. Put him in the little hospital tank and started treating him. It was so ba do was googling how to humanely euthanize a fish. He started getting better then one day I came home and the filter had stopped working and he was dead.

Then we had a 45 gal that had a big angel fish and big Pelco, I had moved out of my parents but have fish duty when they travel. Everything was fine. Fed the fish never noticed anything. My mom got home and was on the phone with me and screamed and goes "the algae eater is dead! It's just bones!" And he legit was bones. I swear he was alive the day before.

18. Cheesearmada Member Member

Got a brand new 50 gallon aquarium. My dad and I were building a stand for it. Long story short the aquarium was temporarily stored in the garage. So while we where using a power saw, a little bit of the saw broke off and somehow flew into the aquarium and shattered the glass. Luckily the saw bit didn't fly at us otherwise who knows if I would be typing this.

19. Mscatipilr Member Member

I've done it too!

20. SHowley2003 Initiate Member

Doing my first water change and didn’t know what I was doing. Had a system that hooked up to the bathroom sink. Let’s just say that a Neon went for a swim through the sewerage pipes of Quincy, MA. Poor guy.