Worst Moments In FishKeeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think mine has to be when I came home and decided to do a water change, failing to realize that the 150 W heater was burst open inside. Stuck my hand in to remove some decorations, and I got a shocking surprise to say the least. The fish were swimming around like normal completely unaffected and seemingly unaware of the electrical current going through their water. That was ouch.

Anyone else? ....

OP
W

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
that sucks about the e-coli.. how'd you get rid of that? and how did that even happen? As far as the water going over the edge when you put your hand in, cause clearly youve put way too much water thing has actually happened to me on several occasions. ha.

Didn't know the D word wasn't allowed. whoops.

Hello. I've merged your post since they were back to back. The word in question is not allowed. Please refer to Fish Forum Rules #2. You can access the Rules by clicking on Quick Links in the blue bar at the top of the screen.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Kay320

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had a tiny, one gallon plastic aquarium one that I used as a little-fish hospital tank. Once, I had to put a betta in for ich treatment, and forgot to put the lid on. The betta jumped out, I didn't see him, and I stepped on him In horror, I jumped back, knocked the tiny tank over, and it spilled all over the floor. The meds stained the hardwood a light shade of green in quite a short time. And the betta didn't survive.

I felt quite guilty about that. He was a great betta.

HuskerArob

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I went to check the salinity on my saltwater tank a few years ago, and saw that the salinity was DRASTICALLY low. so i instantly added more, and saw that it made no difference, so i kept adding. Once i saw my brittle star had died i knew i was in for it. Come to find out, the little plastic piece inside the salt measure had fell out. Therefore crashing my whole tank... A wonderful experience.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

A few years ago I lost 15 Discus due to a 3 day power outage caused by bad weather and ice. (we don't see much ice in S.C.)

Although I no longer keep Discus, I do have 2 generators now.

Ken

OP
W

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thats crazy, whem my heaqter broke all my fish were fine, i'm the one that recieved a nasty shock.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So far mine was when I first started keeping fish. Didn't know about the nitrogen cycle and I was going off recommendations from the LFS. It did not turn out well, to say the least.

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a power outage that lasted a week I lost most of my salties some africans that I've never seen but once n i bought them and around 150.00 worth of frozen fish food.

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
About 2 years ago my tank water found its way through the tank sealant. So, inevitably, I had to place the fish in buckets for a few days to seal the tank again let the sealant cure...blah. That in itself was a real pain, but the worst came when removing the fish. My pictus' pectoral spiny ray got tangled on the net. I mean tangle like a ponytail to a sailfish bill! With a clipper i cut the net, and put the fish on the bucket only to see him getting to the bottom upside-down. After 10 secs of no breathing no motion he started swiming again until today ufff

brlandwehr

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
About 3 months ago when I killed four fish in the process of learning:
1) You need to wash the gravel. It's not clean just because it's in a bag.
2) Heaters may or may not actually show the real temperature (those four got cooked).
3) There's this little thing called the nitrogen cycle ... oh, and those full-blown tank cleanings I was doing to "help" my fish in my first starter tank were almost certainly kicking over nasty re-cycles every month.

*sigh*

Amazing what you can learn in a few months.

Who knew keeping fish wasn't as easy as just putting a bunch of fish in a bunch of water?

OP
W

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ah, i wouldn't feel too bad, I killed many more than just 4 fish before I learned how to properly care for fish. I'm glad that long behind.

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, so 14 things to avoid if at all possible! Eeep, some of the above were really unfortunate.

My worst... humm...? My four red phantom tetra. They were behaving strangely from the start... then done a water change with pH down and *POOF*

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I see a lot of people have recieved nasty shocks. I would like to say they do sell grounding equipment designed just for us aquarium keepers. It is simple and easy to install and can save a lot of heartache weather it be your beloved fin babies or a loved one. Ground your tanks folks! There are so many electric devices running on them ,it would be so easy and makes your hobby that much safer.

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I severely overstocked by 10 gallon tank as soon as I put water in it. I practically cooked my fish alive in there too.

I'm surprised they survived 1 week. :|

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I bought 4 Discus to raise along with the help of my grand daughter. They arrived in a blue bag, couldn't examine them and the dealers warranty was for DOA's to be photo'd in the bag. The key was, that because of the bag coloring I couldn't examine them....so

One was stunted (severely)...appeared healthy but his eyes were twice as large as the 3other babies.

All had visible clumps of gill flukes showing!! They were not well...I had to do the emergency treatment (very traumatic but it did kill the flukes...and I guess eventually 3 of the fish) They all survived and 3 began growing but slowly over 2 months each of the 3 died.

I now have a dwarf (stunted) discus that has not grown a bit hardly in 5 months...it is a cute little fish, and is happy, and it enjoys stealing food from the tetras.

The lesson in this is (as I've noted before) particularily with Discus, you get what you pay for. If the price is unbeatable, let it go. The sad part is, that I am no farther than 1hour from well known Discus breeders...and our Discus project (with my granddaughter..11 yrs old) is in shambles...she loves the little guy, but I have explained that he will have a shorter lifespan than the normal Discus.

To all Discus fans and those who are looking...not a fish to cut corners with unless you personally know the dealer or breeder.

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I guess my worst fish keeping experience was just a couple of weeks ago when I found one of my marbled veil tailed angels caught inside a piece of driftwood with just her nose sticking out of a hole that was in no way large enough for her to get out of. With her long fins, she couldn't get turned around to get out of the hole she went in. (I think she had chased a platy fry into the hole in the driftwood.) With lots of prayer, I helped her get out. That was truly a miracle. She lost more than half of her tail, and some of her fins, and was really traumatised and beat up. With good advice from FL members, she is doing well and her tail is growing back. There is now an anubias stuffed in the driftwood hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom