Worsening Fin Rot

Holly22

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
image.jpeg
Hello everyone,
I have had my Betta fish Winston for approximately 6 months now and first noticed possible fin rot 3 months ago. Initially I treated it with daily water changes and stress coat. After a couple weeks of this I tried adding a tablespoon of aquarium salt to his 5 and a half gallon tank with daily water changes. I did this for 6 days. His condition has worsened or stayed the same with both methods. Then I tried Furan-2 and used this as directed. There was only a small improvement with this and I gave him a break after this treatment. I next added a catappa leaf to his tank which he does seem to enjoy but it has not helped with the fin rot. Most recently I finished a ten day aquarium salt "course" using the same method as mentioned earlier. Again no great improvement or new growth. The past few days I have been giving him a break but this morning I noticed a larger rip in his tail and a large portion gone. I suspect he may be a tail biter though I have never witnessed this. I ordered vitachem on Monday for him so that should be arriving today. I feel terrible that he keeps getting worse and could really use some advice. I am weary to put him through more
image.jpeg
treatments that don't do any good. Thank you in advance!

Holly22

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just tested: ammonia: 0, nitrite:0 but the nitrate could be coming in high. The color I am getting is not exactly matching anything and I've never had this before. Is this cause for concern?
Thanks

Holly22

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes I do vacuum the gravel. I recently cleaned the filter (approx. two weeks ago) and that was basically scrubbing it to get the buildup off. I did a 70% water change last night just to safe and will re-test this morning.

Holly22

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I might be misunderstanding the question but I clean the filter by scrubbing it with an aquarium sponge and rinsing it with water. I also rinse the filter cartrige with water until it starts to fall apart and then I change it. Thanks!

I might be misunderstanding the question but I clean the filter by scrubbing it with an aquarium sponge and rinsing it with water. I also rinse the filter cartrige with water until it starts to fall apart and then I change it. Thanks!

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Holly22 said:
Ok I would recommend cleaning it in old tank water otherwise you might lose too much beneficial bacteria. Also, I heard that kanaplex is good at treating fungal and bacterial infections in fish so it might work for your betta.

Aquafina

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I second KanaPlex. I used it when I suspected it with my betta. It incredibly simple to use and it's a bit more expensive than other medicine, but completely worth it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom