Worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So my newest Platy (Bellatrix) has been behaving strangely all day. She's been hanging out at one corner of the tank near the top just kind of chilling there. Her dorsal fin isn't clamped or anything but she's not swimming much. I'm just a little nervous since I've only had her since Thursday. She is sitting right in the current of my filter so I'm wondering if maybe she's a little shy, or just enjoys the current. Anyone else have a platy that isn't all over the tank? I've never seen that before in Platys, except when my last one wasn't feeling so good. She isn't gasping for air, and all of the other fish are behaving normal, if not even more active. The tank currently has had safe start in it for a week today, and had been cycled previously though the cycle was pretty messed up after medicating for ich. I checked the levels on Thursday and they were all wacky due to TSS today they read Ammonia 0, nitrite, 0 nitrate 10-20ppm (somewhere in the middle). Looks like TSS has finished cycling the tank but I'll probably wait till Tuesday/ Wed to do a water change to be sure. Anyhow, while I was checking the water just now Bella swam about but is now back to her little spot. Any ideas?

OP
B

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She is indeed the calico one. And you know I'm not seeing any little fishies in there, nor has she changed in size so I'm not sure (somehow I've never had a preggers platy!). She is actually on the opposite side of the heater across from the filter even. Oh! Now she's swimming about...maybe I'm making her nervous looking at her lol. Well she better get used to it she's so pretty everyone is gonna stare! lol. I'll keep you posted and keep an eye out for babies. Babies are a good thing (though I doubt any will make it w/ her piggy sister in the tank), being sick is not.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I never saw fry in my Molly or platy moms and they never had gravid spots--I just woke up and found fry one day and slimmer fish. Heck, the Molly never even acted funny but I also think she gave birth prematurely. So you never can tell.

-Lisa

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She is indeed the calico one. And you know I'm not seeing any little fishies in there, nor has she changed in size so I'm not sure (somehow I've never had a preggers platy!). She is actually on the opposite side of the heater across from the filter even. Oh! Now she's swimming about...maybe I'm making her nervous looking at her lol. Well she better get used to it she's so pretty everyone is gonna stare! lol. I'll keep you posted and keep an eye out for babies. Babies are a good thing (though I doubt any will make it w/ her piggy sister in the tank), being sick is not.
from the pics she did look a bit bloated (or pregnant), if she is going pretty regularly and/or taking peas then you have your bases covered. adding some type of guppy grass or some other plant that floats around will help greatly increase the chances of any fry surviving till you can get them separated.

OP
B

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have seen her going though not as much as other guys. I'll hvae to get some peas today! She's much more active today, so that's good.

OP
B

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well just an update. All of the fish LOVED the peas, esp the cats lol. Bella definitely ate some and did go potty a bit. However ,she's now hanging out by the filter and heater and has taken back to not swimming too much. The uncle came over today to check her out and says that I will probably have fry soon. He said pretty typical of platys to behave this way when pregnant. I hope it's that and that she's not ill! Since you all have seen similar behavior I have my fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom