Worried That This Is A Serious Design Flaw, Advice Please?!

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After reading about uneven tanks cracking I inspected mine.

This tank has little feet in the corners so it doesn't connect with the stand in the corners! They didn't tell me to buy foam or anything and since it came with the stand I just figured it was designed correctly and I made sure it was level. Please check out the photo, I'm assuming I need to empty it and put aquarium foam under? It did have a black foam coating on the bottom, but regardless I can see through to the wall in that corner.

(ETA I don't know what other forum this belongs in sorry and I assume it is a beginner thing to ask)

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never seen a bottom tank rim quite like that before.
As long as all four bottom corner pieces rest firmly on the stand likely no worries. The pictured gap is no problem as long as all corners of the tank contact the stand.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
seems like its designed that way so only the 4 corners are touching the stand.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does the bottom glass of the tank rest evenly on the top of the stand or do those corner pieces hold the tank off the stand? Your description seems to suggest you can see under the tank between the tank & stand? What size / volume is the tank?

treadingwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If youre worried you could always get some shims from the hardware store and shim up the stress points of your tank. Then you just color the ends of the shim the same color as your tank edge and you're all set.

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does the bottom glass of the tank rest evenly on the top of the stand or do those corner pieces hold the tank off the stand? Your description seems to suggest you can see under the tank between the tank & stand? What size / volume is the tank?
I can see through the gap, it's not touching. It's 130 litres 35 gallons.

I've never seen a bottom tank rim quite like that before.
As long as all four bottom corner pieces rest firmly on the stand likely no worries. The pictured gap is no problem as long as all corners of the tank contact the stand.
The corners do all touch and the tank is level with a spirit level. But the entire base isn't touching the stand only the corners. It's clearly intentional but I can't see how this makes good sense surely it will have stress in the middle??

Last edited by a moderator:

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A lot of metal stands have no center piece at all. Just sides & corners. Glass can be incredibly strong if not unduly stressed. As long as the weight stress on the tank rests evenly on the bottom corners it should be okay.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can see through the gap, it's not touching. It's 130 litres 35 gallons.
Well 35 gallons of water weighs in at 292.25 lbs or 20.85 stones (the weight of a heavy man) that's a lot of pressure laying on just the 4 corners, I personally wouldn't trust that, I'd want something between the tank glass & the stand to spread that stress out.

Jonmott

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have a link to the tank? The corners look like what they put on to protect during shipping.
Strange looking tank, what’s the piece in the middle do? I see some sort of knob

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have a link to the tank? The corners look like what they put on to protect during shipping.
Strange looking tank, what’s the piece in the middle do? I see some sort of knob
Oh my word! Maybe I was meant to take them off!?

Jonmott

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol that link to the tank, they just photoshop a beautiful scape onto that tank, you’re right though, if you zoom in you can kind of see those corners, can you take full tank shot?

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aww moderator, when I posted my reply the new reply wasn't there yet so how can i not back to back post? Am i supposed to wait a respectable amount of minutes to answer a new reply? Or am I expected to go back and edit the previous reply and add a new quote? I tried before and it didn't work so i just didn't bother answering somebody.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom