Worried That Beta Might Be Sick?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by AquariumQuirks, Apr 21, 2017.

1. AquariumQuirksValued MemberMember

One of my friends who is also a fish enthusiast gave me a beta fish yesterday and I couldn't get him home for about 6 hours plus however long he had him. At first, he seemed very stressed and I got him home as fast as possible, quickly temp acclimated him to an empty planted tank and put him in, I let him rest overnight and the next day he seemed to be doing much better. However, I noticed some black stuff around his gills and just wanted to check if anyone knows if it's serious or just part of his natural coloring. It seems to be puffing out of his gills a little, could it be some kind of ammonia burn? IMG_4100.JPGIMG_4102.JPGIMG_4108.JPG

2. wem21Well Known MemberMember

that is magnificent Betta! His gills look fine, im more worried about his tail. looks like severe finrot. @CindiL

3. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hi, I am assuming he is a crown tail?

Do the gills appear to be stuck open?
    My guess would be ammonia toxicity. Do you have methylene blue? Or can you pick up some Kordon methylene blue?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. AquariumQuirksValued MemberMember

Yes he is a crowntail , and I have methylene blue available. His gills seem to be puffed out a little but otherwise ok.
    Today he was floating at the top of the tank completely unmoving, even his gills weren't active for quite a while until I moved my hand near him and he started looking around again, I'm not sure if he was just sleeping or if something else is wrong? He hasn't been very active lately and he has a hard time eating, he can't seem to chew the food very well. I just did a 50% water change and depending on his condition will probably do another tomorrow. I've also been adding melafix. Should I start dosing methylene blue?

5. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

You don't want to put methylene blue in his tank as it will kill off your nitrifyers. You put it and him in a bath. You can take his removed tank water, add 1/4tsp meth blue to 1 and 1/4-1/2g bucket. Put him in there for 30-60 minutes. If you have a heater you can use this same water for a few days and put him in it once a day.

In his tank you can add 1 level tbsp dissolved aquarium salt per 5g to help with his gill function also for a week or two. It does not evaporate and should only be replaced with water changes, i.e., 50% water change use 1/2 tbsp aquarium salt (assuming a 5g tank).

6. AquariumQuirksValued MemberMember

Do you think he has fin rot? Or some other problem?
    Is the treatment described necessary, or will frequent water changes be enough? I would prefer frequent water changes because I'm one of those people... But if you think a salt bath is necessary I do have some at available.
    Though he does seem to be acting more normal swimming around and even eating.

7. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

How do his gills look now?

8. AquariumQuirksValued MemberMember

The same as before

9. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

You can go by his behavior if you want to but the puffed out gill is a concern if its damage. At a minimum I'd probably add in some aquarium salt for a week. 1 level tablespoon dissolved aquarium salt per 5g actual water (not just what the tank size says as they always say they hold more than they really do).

Replace what you take out only with water changes, it doesn't evaporate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice