Worried Betta Owner Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Maxi, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Maxi

MaxiNew MemberMember

Hi Everyone

Just need some advise and help
    My Betta ( Smirf) Has been in a 8 Gallon tank now for just over a week. I had him in small Jar previously. He has been pretty happy swimming alot and always sticking his nose into the Air Bubbles . He has been getting on with my Pleco well, Saturday he was flaring his gills at him but that has stopped.
    I fed him Blood Worms last night.. I was not sure on how many to feed him, so he had about 8.
    This morning he was lying flat on the bottom of his tank, Acting dead and limp. He does not want to swim. I thought i may have over fed him last night. So i have not fed him this morning. Can other Fish stress Betta's out?
    I am hoping he pulls through this but he is not looking good.
    Is there anything i can do to make him feel better??

Tank Temp 26, Filtered.

Very Worried Betta Owner
    Maxi

2. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Hi Maxi, welcome to Fishlore. :sign0016:

Eight blood worms sounds like a lot. :shock: Their stomachs are only about the size of their eyeball, so don't try to feed more than that in one sitting. It sounds like constipation but you may have other issues as well. Fast him for a couple days (maybe more) and then feed him a cooked pea, shelled.

Other fish can stress out bettas, sure, and it may cause him to act "depressed" or moody. You may want to separate them if you're worried. Bettas really do better on their own. Test your parameters and do a partial water change (20-50%) to make sure everything's up to par. He may perk up just from the water change. Do careful observation and anything that might look like other illness, so that if it comes to it, you'll know what to treat for.

Your profile says you don't know what the nitrogen cycle is and your tank is a week old. If you don't know about it, you can read about it here: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm It's a really important part of fishkeeping and maintaining a healthy tank for your fish. A tank that isn't cycled is going to be biologically and chemically out of whack, and essentially your fish's waste will burn them because they cannot escape it. Their own waste is toxic to them, and with no system to neutralize it, they can suffer temporary to permanent damage from exposure to it.

3. Jequila

JequilaValued MemberMember

Have you checked the pH of the water? Going from one pH to another can shock them if you don't do it gradually.

4. OP
    OP
    Maxi

MaxiNew MemberMember

I am planning on doing a 50% water change every Monday, I have already run the water for the change this morning and i also have the chemical to remove all the Chlorine from the water. I will look into doing the testing asap.

I will also fast him for atleast 2- 3 days ( Is this Ok?)
    Is 2-3 Blood worms enough for one serving?
    I will feed him a pea in 3 days?

Thanks so much!

5. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I don't know how big your blood worms are, but basically the rule of thumb to go by is the size of his eyeball. Any more than that, and you'll be feeding him more than his stomach should really fit. 2-3 sounds a lot better than 8 in any case though. :)

Also be careful not to treat him to blood worms too often -- maybe once or twice a week. You can safely fast him once a week simply as his permanent feeding routine.

He'll be fine to fast for 2-3 days and probably even longer. A healthy fish can go without feedings for several, several days (2 weeks is not unheard of). I wouldn't quite chance it for that long if your fish weren't in top condition already though, and it sounds like your betta might be having issues other than constipation (cycling tank, exposure to toxins).

One thing I didn't mention above is getting a liquid testing kit. It's a very good investment to get a master freshwater test kit when you're first starting out. This will include liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH, at a minimum. Most people on these forums appear to use the one made by API, but any liquid test kit will be more economical per test and more reliable than the paper strip tests you'll see in the stores. Avoid buying those even when the LFS employee tells you to.

If there's anything I've left out, I'm sure others will chime in in the next day. It's super late here in the U.S. >.>

6. OP
    OP
    Maxi

MaxiNew MemberMember

Thanks for your help!
    I will only feed him blood worms twice a week from now on.
    And max 2-3. The blood worms are approx 1cm long and very thin.
    I will also start to fast him.
    Will have to go to the pet shop to find about the test kit and i am hoping after the water change tonight he will feel alot better.
    Thanks
    Max

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Maxi,

Sorry to hear that your Betta isn't feeling up to par. Once you get your test kit and if you do have an ammonia reading other than 0 then daily water changes will be in order until your tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. The API (liquid) Master Test Kit will test for all of the above including pH levels.

If your tank isn't cycled then along with the water changes add some Prime or Amquel +, if these aren't available in your area then you want something to Detox ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. Prime and Amquel + detoxes ammonia, nitrite and nitrates for 24 hours.

Once you've added the chemical to detox ammonia wait 24 hours to test again to make sure you get an accurate reading.

Best wishes!
    Ken

8. OP
    OP
    Maxi

MaxiNew MemberMember

Thanks for all the info! I will get my water tested soonest. Along with the water change tonight.
    How often can you give your Betta a Pea if he is sharing it with my Pleco they have half each.
    Thanks

9. Aquarist

I feed all of my fish peas once a week.

Be sure to slice the pea for the Betta into pieces about the size of one of its eyes. Remember too that their stomach is only the size of one of their eyes. Remove the shell from the pea.

If your Betta is constipated try feeding pea 1 day, fast a day and if there isn't any improvement then feed the pea again. Check for bowel movements.

Ken

10. OP
    OP
    Maxi

MaxiNew MemberMember

Ok thanks! I will feed him a pea tonight and watch for Bowel movements, i have noticed that his tummy is a bit rounder then usual.. So i do think his limpness and not swimming is due to the consipation or over eating. I hope the water change will also help him.
    Thanks a mil
    Max

11. Aquarist

Keep us posted Maxi. I hope your fish is going to be ok :)

Ken

12. OP
    OP
    Maxi

MaxiNew MemberMember

Thanks Ken!

13. OP
    OP
    Maxi

MaxiNew MemberMember

Hi
    Thought i would update you on Smirf.
    I gave him a few tiny pieces of pea. He has been swimming around more often now although he is taking long relaxing periods in my grass.
    I have also done a 50% water change.
    I hope he starts feeling alot better soon.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Maxi

14. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Hey Maxi, sorry I missed your thread before, I hope the pea works for you, it usually does quite soon. You have been covered by all the other responses.
    Ken's right with the peas, I usually give them 3 pieces cut to the same size as their pellets.