Worried about Rosy

1. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi everybody,
    I brought Rosy a female betta almost a week ago now and up until last night when i stole a small portion of her tank for some guppy fry she was doing well. But today her fins top and bottom are clamped down shut. Even if i talk to her at the glass she still has them clamped down. Is she stressed because i stole a little part of her tank? Will she come good in a day or so? I just fed her and her fins opened out, so im not sure whats wrong with her. Any suggestions would help thank you!

2. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

How big is the tank? Did you divide it 50/50?
    Parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Peace,
    No i only gave the fry about a 1/4 or there abouts, the tank is a 15L.
    I took the parameters yesterday before i put the fry in there and they were good.
    Right now they are:
    High range pH 7.4
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5.0
    Is that ok?

4. P

Your tank is much too small to divide.. do you have another container you can put the fry in?
    Or better yet, upgrade your betta's tank? Im sure she would greatly appreciate it..
    Im sure Rosy is feeling cramped and doesnt like that her space has taken. She is stressed

5. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Oh no :(
    I don't have anywhere else to put the fry, this was only for a week or 2 until i could afford another heater for the tank the fry were in. Hm the tank the fry were in was a 20L tall, perhaps Rosy could live there instead? Once i have the heater though. So unfortunately Rosy has to put up with the fry for now as i have no other option atm. Two of my other bettas are in 15L tanks and they are very happy, its a far cry from the tiny tubs they were in at the pet stores.

6. P

Those little cups are for shipping only..not to live in.
    What kind of fry are they? Youd probably be better off with a breeders net or something..

7. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

They are Guppy fry and until a week ago i didn't know guppies needed heated water too! So i was able to buy 2 heaters for my other tanks but not the fries tank. That's how the fry have ended up in the tank with Rosy. I have breeder nets but the only tanks they will fit in are with bigger fish and wont that stress the fries out? Having big fish up at the net thinking what a nice little snack they will make. Im at a loss what to do :(

8. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Peace,
    I have moved the fry. Rosy has her tank back now and is quiet fascinated with the new air stone, shes biting the bubbles lol
    The fry are in a breeder net in the only tank it would fit in, Midnights. Midnight is not impressed about the situation but is having fun stalking the fry now.
    Thank you for your help! :)

9. P

No problem, Im glad everything worked out!

10. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Rosy is much happier this morning, her little top fin is open and not clamped down as badly. Guess she didn't like me stealing some of her tank!