Worried about pets 5 days in shipping bag.

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I ordered 15 ADFs and paid for overnight shipping but UPS didn't show up yesterday. Wet Spot says I'll have to wait until Monday delivery - that will be 5 days in the bag, at best. Acclimation will be tricky to prevent any survivors from dying when the CO2 is released and ammonia and pH swings up. Any tips? Should I float the bags unopened and skip the drip? I feel terrible for the little guys.

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kjeldsen said:
I ordered 15 ADFs and paid for overnight shipping but UPS didn't show up yesterday. Wet Spot says I'll have to wait until Monday delivery - that will be 5 days in the bag, at best. Acclimation will be tricky to prevent any survivors from dying when the CO2 is released and ammonia and pH swings up. Any tips? Should I float the bags unopened and skip the drip? I feel terrible for the little guys.
I've never dealt with frogs... so I would wait until someone more experienced comes by. With fish, especially if they are somewhat hardy, can survive the shipment from 5 days and will be likely alive but disoriented. What I do for long shipments is to open it, add a few drops of Prime, then skip drip acclimation, because the fish have been in the water for so long. Once you open the bag, CO2 is released into the air and the ammonia building inside swings high. For shipping days that take a huge amount of time I would recommend transferring them into your QT or whatever tank you are adding them to without taking an hour of acclimation. I've never had problems with that, but i's your preference.

OP
Kjeldsen

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for your reply. UPS dropped off the box today (didn't even ring the bell, I looked out just in case) and they all appear dead anyway. There's no movement in the bag so I kept it sealed and sent pictures but I'm floating it just in case of a survivor. I've had frogs shipped before with no problem - I suspect it was a heat pack included that wasn't necessary. Oregon may be cool but here it's in the nineties.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would open it up. CO2 can anesthetize animals so they might be alive but not moving much.

OP
Kjeldsen

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I cut the bag open the stench was pretty bad and none were alive. Kind of strange for 3 days tops. Glad I bought the insurance as well, but sad at what they went through.

OP
Kjeldsen

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, they shipped on Thursday for overnight delivery on Friday, but arrived Saturday instead. Still, that seems fast for all DOAs and it smelled like they'd been dead for a while. I'm hesitant to have them reshipped lest the same thing happen again.

New Threads