Worried about new cory

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
We recently got a new bronze green? cory to give the one we currently have in our 28gallon company when it gets out of the Q/H tank....
But I'm really worried about it.
It doesn't look like it's calmed down any since we got it. And by calm down... not the darting around the tank thing they do.. but sitting on the gravel and breathing very rapidly. There's plenty of airation in the tank.. we did have to move some things around in there, but I figured it would be at least a little more active and it's rapid gill movement is really worrying me.
Also when we've had to stick our hands in the tank for whatever reason.. it doesn't dart away immediatly when you get near it. We can actually touch it and then it will move.

It's been in the Q tank for 2 days now and gills haven't calmed down since. We just put in a different decor since the other that was in there was a bit too large... so it has somewhere to hide.
I'm gonna be watching it closely for the next few days and I hope it will calm more.. but if not... what should I do? IS there anything I can do?
Could something be wrong with it? Or is it just stressed/scared?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He may be stressed & could calm down when he's got a buddy to make him happier.. we only have Julii corys, but they seem to act like your new guy at times.. often i have to give them a little nudge with my finger to move them when i'm working on a section of the tank. If it's possible to do so, can you compare the gill movement under a magnifying glass to establish how much faster the new guy's gill movement is?

Also, I could be wrong but I think it can sometimes take a few days for one to settle in and calm down.. at least it did with some of our Julii Corys while some of them seemed to just be calm right off.

Do you think he'd be happier/calmer if you gave him less light? like night-level or dim perhaps? I'd bet he's fine though, just an energetic Cory - I bet he'll be a lot of fun when he goes in the big tank.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well it's a new day and it's still the same.
We got a panda cory yesterday (getting another when the store gets more in)... put it into the tank and it was perfectly fine. Went right to the algae wafer I had put in for the other cory and started munching on it.

I don't think the green cory has eaten anything.
It moves around some, but usually it's just in one spot breathing very rapidly. I really hope it does calm down b/c I'm so afraid it's not going to make it.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
shollia said:
Well it's a new day and it's still the same.
We got a panda cory yesterday (getting another when the store gets more in)... put it into the tank and it was perfectly fine. Went right to the algae wafer I had put in for the other cory and started munching on it.

I don't think the green cory has eaten anything.
It moves around some, but usually it's just in one spot breathing very rapidly. I really hope it does calm down b/c I'm so afraid it's not going to make it.
I'm sorry to hear he's not improved.. what is the water chemistry of the tank he's in, especially the NH3 (if your ammonia test can do NH3 seperate from NH4+)? does he act any different when the lights are low or out? does he have a lot of redness around his gills?

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
No ammonia, no nitrites.. and I'm gonna have to redo nitrates b/c when I did it before the tube leaked all over the place when I was shaking it :-\

No redness around the gils... I think something is wrong with it's body. It doesn't act any differently when the lights are off (tank also gets light from the kitchen so we can see it)...
I watched it earlier today.. and saw it trying to swim and it's doing a very weird wiggling motion. Not normal at all. It struggles to swim to the surface. While I was watching it.. it swam up some.. rested on the heater suction cup, then wiggled with all it's might to the surface for a breathe of air and quickly went back down to rest on the bottom again.

I'm afraid that either I or the petstore lady might have injured it somehow. God I feel terrible just thinking that this could be all my fault.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
shollia said:
No ammonia, no nitrites.. and I'm gonna have to redo nitrates b/c when I did it before the tube leaked all over the place when I was shaking it :-\

No redness around the gils... I think something is wrong with it's body. It doesn't act any differently when the lights are off (tank also gets light from the kitchen so we can see it)...
I watched it earlier today.. and saw it trying to swim and it's doing a very weird wiggling motion. Not normal at all. It struggles to swim to the surface. While I was watching it.. it swam up some.. rested on the heater suction cup, then wiggled with all it's might to the surface for a breathe of air and quickly went back down to rest on the bottom again.

I'm afraid that either I or the petstore lady might have injured it somehow. God I feel terrible just thinking that this could be all my fault.
Hmm.. I guess you can rule out ammonia poisoning.. I'm definitely not a catfish expert by any means, but do you think it could be a swim bladder problem? It kind of sounds like it with him having trouble swimming up & around. Maybe putting a half-pea right by him (or a smushed one) for him to nibble on could perk him up if it is.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's swim bladder, but I'm not sure.
I dropped some pea into the tank yesterday but it hasn't eaten anything since we've gotten it.

Think we might take it back to the petstore.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well unfortunatly, the lil girl (think it was a girl) died a short while ago.
She hadn't been moving much the entire day, went and checked on her not too long ago. She was still in the same spot breathing heavy... checked on her a few mins later and she was sideways on the bottom dead :'(
No idea what could've been wrong other than she was just too stressed out.
Nothing physically wrong with her. No red spots.. no white spots.. nothing..

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
shollia said:
Well unfortunatly, the lil girl (think it was a girl) died a short while ago.
She hadn't been moving much the entire day, went and checked on her not too long ago. She was still in the same spot breathing heavy... checked on her a few mins later and she was sideways on the bottom dead :'(
No idea what could've been wrong other than she was just too stressed out.
Nothing physically wrong with her. No red spots.. no white spots.. nothing..
I'm sorry to hear that, the poor little one.. must've had some sort of internal problem and it's anyone's guess what it was. maybe some sort of organ failure or something. At least the little girl is at peace now, but I know you wanted her to pull thru. will the store you got her from do an exchange?

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
We went out today since some stores told us Weds were their day for getting in new fish and we just ended up getting a green from another store (along with 2 sterbai).. so we'll probably just take the poor lil dead cory back and get a cash refund. :-\

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
shollia said:
We went out today since some stores told us Weds were their day for getting in new fish and we just ended up getting a green from another store (along with 2 sterbai).. so we'll probably just take the poor lil dead cory back and get a cash refund. :-\
I see, they not have anything or did they not really get new fish in? The petco here was like "we order them when we feel like it" when we asked when they get new fish a while back. So, are all the new guys doing good?

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
No we just didn't bother going to that place.
We got the fish from Petsmart... and although they're really nice... we've just had nothing but bad luck with our fish from there.
I swear over half of the fish we've gotten from them have died on us for one reason or another. I'm just sick of having to go back again and again and again with yet another dead fish.
Thankfully the bettas I've gotten from petsmart are all doing healthy though.

So since the other place we were getting the sterbai at had some greens, we just got them there.
They're all doing really well so far, but I'm keeping a close eye on them b/c the place we got them from isn't exactly spectacular either.
I would've prefered if we had gotten all of our corys from this little local store that's across the street from where my bf works (where we got our panda), but they didn't have any (we went there looking to get another panda but they had forgotten to order more).

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
shollia said:
No we just didn't bother going to that place.
We got the fish from Petsmart... and although they're really nice... we've just had nothing but bad luck with our fish from there.
I swear over half of the fish we've gotten from them have died on us for one reason or another. I'm just sick of having to go back again and again and again with yet another dead fish.
Thankfully the bettas I've gotten from petsmart are all doing healthy though.

So since the other place we were getting the sterbai at had some greens, we just got them there.
They're all doing really well so far, but I'm keeping a close eye on them b/c the place we got them from isn't exactly spectacular either.
I would've prefered if we had gotten all of our corys from this little local store that's across the street from where my bf works (where we got our panda), but they didn't have any (we went there looking to get another panda but they had forgotten to order more).
Kind of frustrating isn't it? Wouldn't it be great to have a fish store owned by someone who cared for the fish and ran a good shop? Someday, my wife & I have a dream of a Betta store and naturally we'd sell cory cats as they are great with bettas. Then we could focus on a real good variety of corys and better treatment of bettas.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom